90mm for 4x5

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by rubenmg, Feb 4, 2010.

1. rubenmg

rubenmg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi!

I have Sinar and Shen-Hao 4x5 and i need a 90mm lenses for creative architecture photography (I need a good coverage for movementes). What is your recommendation? Thank you,

Ruben

2. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikkor SW 90/4.5
    Schneider-Kreuznach Super Angulon 90/8

And take a look at Rodagon 90 and Fuji as well
    Everyone will have their favourite but all of them produce good results

3. paul owen

paul owen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Nikon 90mm f8 - same coverage as the 4.5 version (will cover 5x7) but much smaller, uses smaller filters and only slightly darker image on screen.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rodenstock 90mm f6.8 Grandagon's are another excellent lens or the faster f4.5 version, good coverage.

Ian,

5. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 90mm 5.6 Caltar HR (Topcon) is a bit rare, but it does the job. Any of the 5.6 or faster lenses are going to be big. The Caltar HR uses 77mm filters.

6. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    so far I'm getting terrific results from my Fujinon-SW 90/f8.

small(ish) lens, but in lower light, a 4.5 would be nice for a brighter ground glass.

I used a 90mm 6.8 APO Grandagon at school, and it was a terrific performer. If you shoot color films, you'll probably want to get a multicoated lens.

a friend has a Super Angulon 5.6/90, and he's shot ALL his interiors over the past 15 years on it(along with other lenses of course). But its his mainstay lens 75% of the time for interiors/exteriors.

-Dan

7. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    a chrome barrel super angulon

to give you an idea about image circle, the super angulon will cover a 5x7 sheet of film when stopped down ...

you might also think about a 65mm sa, if you are photographing tight spaces.
    (and if you get one make sure you get the center filter, very expensive but worth every penny! )
    i recently documented an office building outside of boston, and it would have been nearly impossible
    without the 65 ( the 90 came in handy too ).

have fun!

john

8. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Posted wirelessly..

I second the recommendation of the Nikon F8. Great lens.

9. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only issue with the faster 90s is that the rear element is pretty large. On my Wista, with a fixed bellows, it is the bellows that is the limiting factor for movements and coverage with the Caltar HR. Monorails or optional bag bellows will help a lot if you plan on pushing the movements to the limits of coverage.

10. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Schn. 90/8 super A. Inexpensive and great, and totally sufficient coverage for 4x5 unless you really do pretzel bellows.

Recently I posted a shot with this lens on 5x7, and it had plenty of coverage for that too.

11. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I chose a 90mm f/8 for its size, price, and performance. It also shares the same CF as my 58 SAXL and 110 SAXL. Three lenses sharing one CF saves a lot of money. The 110mm is only used on 8x10, BTW.

12. Pupfish

Pupfish Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My Nikkor SW 90mm f/8 is a bit contrastier than my longer Caltar IIN's (Apo Sironar N) and this is not always a good thing such as when using Velvia 50. My next lens will be a APO Grandagon-N, but in 75mm.

Your cameras will take any 90mm, but someone else looking here for suggestions will be wisest to measure their camera and compare it to the lens specs before purchase. Many modern f/5.6 versions of wide angles either will not fit the board or won't mount through the front standard opening of a number of cameras. Too, if concerned about lens IC coverage, does the camera have an option for bag bellows? Huge rear lens elements can severely restrict rise and shift, to a less-critical extent limit tilts and swings.

13. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You said "creative architecture." That often means large movements and low light. So use a bag bellows, and get one of the modern f4.5 lenses so that focusing is not so nettlesome.

I have a Caltar 90mm f6.8 lens for landscape work. It is excellent and relatively small, but would not be ideal for your purposes.

14. rubenmg

rubenmg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello, thank you very much for all this answers. My english is very poor and i need sometime for traslate all this information. Thanks!

Ruben