90mm on Shen Hao 5x7?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by oper33, Aug 12, 2005.

1. oper33

oper33 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am about to pull the trigger on this camera but I want to know how it handles with a 90mm which is the widest lens I will use.

If you have used this combo I would like to know how it worked out?

can a 90mm be focused with a flat board and the standard bellows without the use of movements to bring the standards closer (ie tilting the front back)?

can you get any movements with a flat board and the standard bellows?

I know the camera comes with an adapter to use linhof boards if I took the adapter off is there a recessed lens board for the camera (in other words not linhof recessed but the standard board for the camera)?
    thanks

2. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Bellows extension is 55mm to 360mm see specs at Badger Graphic Sales

3. Eric Jones

Eric Jones Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Badger only lists the 4x5 and the new 8x10. The bellows draw on the Shen-Hao 5x7 is 115mm to 580mm (according to Shen-Hao's site). The focal flange distance on the Nikon 90SW4.5 is 97.4mm and is 97mm on the F8 version (Nikon Europe LF page specs). Therefore you would need a recessed lens board for infinity focus. I have not directly used the camera (only the 4x5 model), this is just looking at specs. You may want to PM Sandy King, I did know that he has or had one of the 5x7 Shen-Haos.

4. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Apologies all around,

I did not pay close attention to the question.....5 x 7 and ASSumed we were talking about 4 x 5....

Sorry about that

Dave

5. sanking

sanking Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Large Format

It is possible to focus a 90mm lens at infinity with the 5X7 Shen-Hao. Using the front tilt mechanism you tilt the front standard straight back and the lock it down parallel to the back for use. You might even be able to focus a 75mm lens in this configuration but I don't know for sure. Of course, the normal bellows would certainly limit the range of movements using a lens of this focal length.

There is not enough bellows draw to use a 90mm lens without using the front tilt.

Sandy

6. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Do you mean that Sandy? Or do you mean that you need to tilt back? With 600mm of bellows a 90mm should be easy.

7. sanking

sanking Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just meant that in order to use a 90mm lens you have to tilt the front standard back, but this is not such a big deal. My 90mm will not focus at infinity just by racking the lens back as far as it will go.

Sandy

8. oper33

oper33 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the replies, this has answered some of my questions.

One more question I have is if I take out the linhof adapter is thier a recessed lensboard that fits this camera?

If I tilt the front standard back and use the wide angle bellows could I still get some front rise out of the camera?

Thanks.

9. herb

herb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    shen hao 90 mm

I use a bag bellows with a 90, and even like it with a 120 better than the regular bellows. For some reason the sh bellows tends to bunch up more than say a deardorff.