A Basic Overview of Minolta pre-AF 35mm SLR's

A Basic Overview of Minolta pre-AF 35mm SLR's

1. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Christopher Walrath submitted a new resource:

A Basic Overview of Minolta pre-AF 35mm SLR's - A Basic Overview of Minolta pre-AF 35mm SLR's

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016 at 5:34 PM
  2. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We should have others write about the comparable Nikons, Canons, Pentaxes and others. Hope you all enjoy it.

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I became a fan of Minolta about a year ago when I bought an XE-1 (XE-7 in the US). I liked the fact that the prime lenses cost a lot less than comparable Nikkors.

Steve.

4. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even straight Rokkor glass won't set you back too awful much. Secondary manufacturer's glass is half that. Thanks for the reads, all.

5. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Imagine a digital SLR being produced for twelve years (like the SR-1) in the same configuration... Good read, although I never really fancied Minoltas.

6. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, we can't all be perfect. ;p Thanks for the read.

7. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only 35mm I have know is a XG 9,fine camera but you have to make sure to turn it off when not using it ,the bat. will drain and camera will not function.

8. rhmimac

rhmimac Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just bought a perfect sr-T303b and 3 MF lenses ( Minolta50f1.7, Vivitar 28f2.8 and 135f2.8) or my 17yr old daughter who insisted on also becoming an analog photog after 2yrs of taking pictures with a 2nd hand Nikon D.. I got her to learn some basics.
    Though the machine could do everyting manualy, she could not get herself further than the green button and shot as a soldier hoping for a couple keepers after that.
    But surprise,surprise the girl was getting bored taking the d.g.t.l frames and she loved the look of my neutral color gold200 4"x6" prints I still kept shooting.
    What I told her after she got the Minolta is simple: measure the scene take care of positioning the meter with the O on the right in line with the needle, focus the lens precisely and of you go.
    Five minutes, no manual to read, no tutorial to search on the net, nadda. Just 5 minutes of explaining the basic meter and focus the ring.
    Oh man I fell in love with this sr-T303b for sure. But it's hers. She takes it everywhere and shoots 2 yr expired Gold200 with a lot more keepers!
    Then she came to me in a state and reported almost crying: dad I saw the camera back was open in my camerabag! All my pics ruined!
    Close it and shoot it till the end I advised. Maybe the lomo effects will make it worth keeping... And it did. Nice foging from the sides and the top. She loved it and I enjoyed her joy.

rhmimac

PS. all her 17 and 18yr old friends are on MF 135 camera's now shooting wild negs and 4 by 6 prints; they dropped the d.g.t.l sh.t. for a moment, I sincerely hope they stay. I'm a proud father.
    And I love her even more now.

rhmimac

9. inlarry

inlarry Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Must say that although I sold off my Minolta equipment a few years back in trade for Nikon gear, I do truly miss my Minolta. It (a SRT-100) was my first real camera, which I bought myself when I was 14 back in 1997. That thing went with me EVERYWHERE. Eventually I amassed a decent collection of Rokkor and Celtic (Minolta's answer to the Series-E) lenses, and eventually traded the 100 for a 101. Lugged it, as it's predicessor with me for several years, including my trip to Germany in 2002. But, sadly a few years later I began to step slightly into digital, and decided Nikon a better investment and thus traded all my Minolta in for a really nice FE.

Honestly, I want another one and I'm seriously thinking about checking out KEH to see what's up.

10. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oughtta be easy enough to find. I will mention that I had three different Celtic 135's MD mount. And I must have been a junk Celtic magnet. But all three of them were crap. ebay buys so maybe I got stuck. But three in a row. Even my luck isn't that bad. I ended getting a Makinon 135 MD and that was one of the best lenses I ever had for the Minny's.

11. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    High School Yearbook

Thanks Chris, this is a great little review of these magnificent, manual, Minolta cameras.

The very first SLR I ever owned was a Minolta SRT 101 purchased when I was still in college. I enjoyed that camera for several years before it involuntarily left my possession, and even today I think they are one of the most beautiful looking cameras I have ever owned or used. I had an opportunity to pick up another SRT 101 about 3 years ago, and I am very glad I did. Whenever I feel myself getting discouraged with today's auto focus, auto exposure and digital world, I grab one of my Minoltas (you can't own just one), and take it out on a little road trip. It always reminds me how important those basic composition and exposure skills are, and it never fails to revive my love of creating images.

12. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After all of these years and all the gadgets, there's just something about the feel of a Minolta sr- or X- series camera in your clutches. RB67, M645, 4x5, it's always nice to come home. Only from the minds of Minolta.

13. inlarry

inlarry Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The 135 Celtic I had, the only Celtic I had mind you, seemed to be a very nice lens. From what I've researched on the Celtic line the optical formula's were identical to the Rokkor's, they just built them a little "cheaper" a-la the Series E line. There's some argument about the coatings being the same, but I believe when Minolta began computer designing they figured the coatings into the total design, so it'd seem an expensive prospect to do a total re-design just to cut a little cost in coating, especially on what was intended to be a "value priced" lens. Who knows, because nobody I've seen so far seems to.