A brand new film photography wiki

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Jessestr, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Jessestr

Jessestr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi everyone

I started a project "The Film Foundation" which is an online community, as well as in real life. We try to share useful information, latest news,... on Facebook.
    My plan is to bring people closer together with film photography in real life by keeping meetings. Also will offer soon a "public darkroom", that will be available to everyone from our country (Belgium). Hope others will follow this example and do it in their country too.. You can find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/filmfoundation

Now the community was really excited about a wiki for film photography. The facts about everything wrapped in one central place. Which can be found here http://wiki.thefilmfoundation.net/index.php/Main_Page
    The goal is that you (contributors) fill the place with useful and correct information. So that everyone can enjoy all the information and learn about it.

Update: thefilmfoundation.net will be updated end of June to a better concept. It will be a sharing platform for everyone instead of a news / magazine / blog site. Stay tuned.

Thanks for reading.

2. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just to let you know: Ilford/Harman started an initiative to help prospective dark room users find convenient public or private darkrooms near their location. Check it out here.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why will you only let Belgians into your darkroom?

4. Jessestr

Jessestr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not only Belgians.. But I guess nobody will fly over from the USA to develop a print in our darkroom.

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess so, but your wording made me ask.

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agfa: None of the listed films are made anymore by Agfa.
    Agfa sold their consumer department in 2004. The successor went under within a few months. There is no more production of such films. The films you listed are all that old.

Adox do not make photographic products since 1860. It is just a revived old brand for a quite new manufacturer.

Kentmere is not existent any more, just a brand from Harman.

Rollei films are not made under licence from anyone. It is the brand "Rollei" that is licenced to Maco for their film conversions and chemicals.

And there remains the question if there really is need for a further film platform. That needs building up in first instance and then cared for.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  7. patois

patois Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Looks like it is off to a promising start.

8. Película

Película Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's nice of you to do this. Anything positive about using film is always going to be a good thing. Here in Los Angeles there are lots of young people out there interested in film as an alternative to mainstream 'electrography' (i.e., digital.)

Like the old saying goes, "Think Globally, Act Locally."

There's a group in Boston, MA that's also promoting film use, and that you might want to add to your 'other communities' list http://www.meetup.com/BostonFilmPhotographers/

And although this particular community center is more about cine film (Super 8 and 16mm), it's also part of the film 'revival' http://echoparkfilmcenter.org/about us/aboutus.html

I think that there is quite a bit of interest happening pretty much everywhere now in film. If you look at many of the new film photographers posting their images on this website http://www.shootingfilm.net/, they're from all over the globe.

(p.s., you listed this link on your wiki page in the 'other communities' section: http://filmisnotdead.com/ While I have no issues at all with what that person is doing, it should be noted that it is a commercial site that sells workshops for people interested in learning how to use film either for personal satisfaction or professionally as part of their existing photo business.)

9. Jessestr

Jessestr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Really sad. :smile: It's not because it's not made anymore, the information isn't useful.. Agfa still makes films are there are plenty of people asked for information about OLD stuff but that is correct as of today.
    Adox is still making photographic products, I've been talking to the owner and they are sponsoring us with photographic stuff... Search some more ..

About Kentmere... it's on the wiki.

And if you don't like the idea, go back to your old mans chair. We're young, we like to evolve, take things further, technology allows us too. Let us do what we like to do. There is plenty of people who actually want something like this. We've found lots of contributors already. So stop being a bored old man. Go out and shoot.

I'll remove filmisnotdead. Maybe true as they are more a commercial plaform. We like to start up things locally, and on the web we can go global. Technology allows us to do things they could never do in the time of analog photography. Thanks for the positive reaction.

10. Película

Película Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or maybe eventually you can separate out links that are community and non-profit based and others that promote film but are commercial. There's nothing wrong at all with what the filmisnotdead person is doing, and he does bring more awareness to film which is great. But it is a commercial venture.

And yeah, think globally and act locally is a good mantra in respect to everything we do as citizens.
    :smile:

Anyway, good luck with your efforts. (btw, have you contacted Freestyle as a potential supporter? I realize that they are California based, but they are very much involved with education here and promote the use of film to schools, and colleges/universities http://www.freestylephoto.biz/students-and-educators)

11. Jessestr

Jessestr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow thanks fro the freestyle tip! Will contact them :smile:! We're filling the wiki as fast as possible..

12. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just a gentle hint. Probably best not to alienate your target demographic.

"Old men" not your target?

Well, today we are dealing with only the teeniest, tiniest sliver of what once was an enormous world-wide market of products and interest. Everyone, who still has an interest in film-based photography should be your target. Besides, those "old men" and women are where the overwhelmingly vast majority of surviving film-based expertise lives.

Tribalism is no longer an option, if you still want to be doing this a few years from now.

:smile:

Ken

(taking a small break between 4x5 developing runs in his fully-equipped darkroom...)

13. Jessestr

Jessestr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Old men are allowed :wink: They have the most experienced after all.. I ment grumpy old man.
    We accept anything film related (except lomography , enough sites with information about that). It's just sad to see people giving comments like this on positive NEW ideas.

I welcome you all :smile:

14. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jesse,

Well you seem not to know what these old men have been doing and still are doing. All materials manufactured today are made by old men. Several of them are fellows here at Apug. They are the ones who made decisive initiaves. When there even was less market than now.

Some of those old men got grumpy because their efforts have not been honoured. And because they have to face harsh figures. Figures hard to be challenged by some new emerging markets.

I appreciate the new projects and the new enthusiasm going on. But I'm very sceptic about a new platform being started in utmost rudimentary form to say the least, and then asking those old men to make something out of it.

Or think of the idea by two young women to start a industry museum in Samobor. A project nothing substantial about had been brought forward. But a great lot of talking and "likes". Meanwhile the two behind that initiative don't even reply when asked about their project at their very own site.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  15. Jessestr

Jessestr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The platform isn't made FOR the old folks who know already everything, but for the new younger folks that want to get in touch with film photography. This should be pretty obvious...
    And I honor everyone's effort to bring more life in film photography. I just don't like comments like yours being "skeptical" about it. And yes I know you have the right to say it, but saying that won't do anything good... You could also help or just say nothing. But that's what I'm thinking.

16. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I helped by correcting your errors. Do not expect further help.

My scepticism is about another initiave having a bad start and then going into agony or being not useful because it is not well maintained. Such a site would be anything but beneficial for an ignorant person seeking information.

17. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is this Facebook of which you speak? I do not do social media. Is there another way?

18. Jessestr

Jessestr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can access the wiki without Facebook.

19. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You could try unsocial media!

Steve.

20. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another online community isn't really going to help revive film )and darkroom) use. What's really needed is a more practical initiative to get people involved more directly. This needs to engage all ages including the very young by letting them see the photographic process in use.

An example of the wrong approach is a museum (world heritage site) with a Victorian village and one building is a photographers studio, plenty of nice old plate cameras and lenses (including large portrait cameras) and they get kids & adults dressed up in period costumes and take their photos (at a fee). This is done digitally but why not have a demonstration darkroom and let them see the process.

The Harman Local Darkroom idea is great, I signed up, however we need to get more people into these darkrooms. I had intended to utilise the local college darkroom for some film photography workshops but when the technician retired they closed as no-one their was capable of running it.

Ian

21. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The best way I've found to promote film use is to be seen in public shooting film, and be affable. I field a lot of questions when I'm out and about with my cameras. Most asked question is, "can you still get 120 film?" and "where can it be purchased?" I hand out film on occasion, just to get people started, and I develope it for them. There are a lot of young folks using film in cameras I've given away (picked up at yard sales and flea mkts)and demos given at 4H and the high school art dept. I've been asked to hold a month long LF demo at a near by state park visitor center. My advice to the OP--be visible, and be properly informed