A Call for Comments: Contax P & S's

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by RattyMouse, Feb 26, 2014.

1. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm interested in hearing from those who use Contax P & S's. There are various models out there, all rather pricey so I'm a bit nervous buying gear that old for that amount of money. Comments from users about the various models are solicited! Any models to avoid? Any considered the best?

2. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Go to Ken Rockwell's site and do a search for Contax. He has information on the G system cameras that you may be interested in.

3. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Alan,

As good as the G cameras are, I need something much smaller. The G cameras are much too large for my p & s needs.

4. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want good & cheap, try a Yashica T4. Has a really nice Zeiss T* lens, points, shoots, produces great negatives. Only downside is the flash is pretty weak.

5. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I had a Contax TVS several years ago. It had focus problems in that everything appeared okay, but pictures would be hopelessly out of focus - this happened for a few frames per roll. It forced me to sell it - but when it did work, it took beautiful photos - especially color.

I also had a Contax T2 and can mirror the comments above - fantastic. The lens is a killer.

Also, while not a P&S, the best I had was a Contax T, which is an AE-priority rangefinder, though it is smaller than the other two. Excellent exposure system and a lens to die for. They always seemed extremely difficult to find, and always expensive.

7. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have a Contax TVS, which worked fine until it stopped working one day. Powers on but won't focus and won't take a photo.

Later, the dog chewed on the rubber covering.

8. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not specifically related to Contax, but every time I get and use an AF, Auto advance P&S, I end up putting it away because I don't like the noise. I go back to an 80s RF or to my Rollei. Just my opinion about what works for me, but consider the noise factor in a "modern" P&S.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a P&S camera because it would hurt to think for that price I could get a proper camera, like when I look at the price of high end digital S.L.R's I think "I'm not playing that, I could buy a used Hasselblad outfit for that price".

10. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You know of any "proper" cameras that are small and pocketable which it seems is what the OP wants?

What's is "proper" anyway? My T2 is sulking....

11. NZed

NZed Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A true proper Point and Shoot? Then it has to be the Olympus Mju II. True point and shoot. Cant be any simpler.

But if OP wants a contax and doesnt mind paying that much, the T2 is his best bet. More of a premium point and shoot with aperture control and $300+.

12. GarageBoy

GarageBoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Seems to be a very popular market (high end film P&S)
    A T2 which cost 1/3 of what a Nikon F5 sold new is now selling for the same price as the latter used
    The T2 does have a gorgeous lens tacked on it

13. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    People no longer want to carry heavy metal cameras to obtain similar results to one they could slip in a shirt pocket. The downside is most point and shoots were not built to last, although lightly used ones can still do the job.

14. Dismayed

Dismayed Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I had a Contax T2 that would leak light when the lens motor extended the lens. Great lens. Too bad the body was flawed. I sold it on eBay, not as mint, but with full disclosure of the flaw.