A Decade of APUG! Sept. 6th 2002-2012

Discussion in 'APUG System Announcements' started by Sean, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

I would like to wish our community a happy birthday on this epic 10yr milestone. 10 years! It is hard to believe many of us have been here for a decade. I have now been involved with APUG more than a quarter of my life and my daughter Amelia's entire life.

Remember the old days?

[​IMG]

I have very vivid memories of being on AOL instant messenger and banging name ideas around when suddenly the APUG acronym came to mind. Little did I know what would become of it and how it would evolve. I am proud of what we have become, but the real joy for me is being part of the upstanding and supportive APUG family. I also can't thank our moderators and council members enough for the incredible way they keep the tone of APUG consistent -they truly make it look easy. They volunteer their time and energy to this community and I'm sure they find the results of their efforts as rewarding as I do. Also, a big thanks to our many sponsors and subscribers who have supported us over the years, scary to think where we would be without that support.

Here's to the next decade, and a toast to the APUG.

Thanks!
    Sean

2. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Happy Anniversary APUG! And a big cheers to you Sean, for starting it all up ten years ago.

3. werra

werra Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Cheers!! I can't believe how long I've been hovering around here :smile:

Marc!

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Happy birthday. I have been here for six years. I will subscribe again on pay day!

Steve.

6. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Happy anniversary A.P.U.G. the seven and a half years I've been a member has gone like a flash, participating in it it has really enriched my life, the ability to hear the views and communicate with other photographers all over the World although I don't always agree with their views is a tremendously valuable resource that it's a shame that more long term members who have a house full of expensive photographic equipment who can well afford to do not subscribers to ensure the forums continuation.
    Thank you Sean for all your efforts on our behalf, and here's looking forward to the next ten years :smile:

7. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been here just a few months. I had no idea APUG had been around for 10 years. That's quite a milestone. Congratulations! And thanks to everyone for the great educational resource. I've learned a lot here already.

8. Photo-gear

Photo-gear Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Long and happy life to APUG and the members as well.

Keep shooting!

9. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    7+ years for me.

Many more to come (I hope).

Congrats Sean.

10. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Big and hearty congrats! I discovered it after a mention in B&W mag. I've met some great people through here and I blame them all for the increase in my camera pile. If it weren't for APUG, I would never have considered 4x5.

11. ArtO

ArtO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Happy Birthday and congratulations to all those who have contributed to make this such a wonderful site.

12. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congrats Sean! I joined 5 months after you. So my 10 year is coming up soon too! I laid very low for a while but have been back again with a vengeance recently again. Love this place, here's to another 10 at least! Cheers!

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sean, congratulations on the genius of your idea, APUG, and its success!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations Sean! And cheers to all of us! This is a fantastic resource and a great bunch of people.

I passed my six year mark in June. I discovered this amazing place when the Bronica SQ-A I cobbled together from components kept winding film all the way through without stopping. I did a Google search for forums where I might ask a question and APUG looked like a winner. All that travail is behind me and I've had work in local juried shows since returning to B&W and the darkroom in 2006. (I've also added two folders and a TLR to the "collection.") I hope I'm still shooting for the next ten -- what the hey, I'll only be 81!

16. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations!
    Considering what has transpired in the last 10 years, the next 10 ought to be pretty interesting.

17. georg16nik

georg16nik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Happy anniversary APUG!!!

18. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I am still enjoying this forum after 8 years.. Sean is it time for the second APUG conference?. I will help as I can.

19. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seems like only a recent past when many of the founders (Jorge, Don Miller, JDef and many others) were expounding on topics all too new to me. APUG has grown and yet remained useful. Congrats on a great idea well-executed.

20. jovo

jovo Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's become a family to many of us who've been here a while, and to many who are new as well. Congratulations, Sean, and may there be many decades of APUG to come.

21. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe you once said you only expected 100 members. Perhaps that's apocryphal; just part of the APUG legends. :wink:

I've only been here eight+ years, but I've met many friends both local, nation-wide and international. Good job, Sean. I know it has exceeded your expectations!

22. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Congrats, Sean! This is a wonderful site... may there be many decades to come.

23. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Congrats and thanks Sean, moderators and council members.

We've enjoyed a pretty good, long ride....

We've had births and deaths, we've made friends, fought and occasionally parted ways in anger.

Fantastic knowledge has been shared, fools and obnoxious irritants have been dealt with and

myths and lies have been dispelled and occasionally, perpetuated.

I think about all the wonderful folks I've "met" and corresponded with here over the years.

I only wish that some of the good folks who've come and gone would return and participate again.

Best Wishes!

24. Vaughn

Vaughn Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Happy 10th! What a nice way to break pass my 4000th post!

Thanks, Sean!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
  25. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Congratulations APUG and Sean, for the success of the forum. It has become the center and hub for all things film. The community is very friendly and overall wonderful.

I joined the 1st of January 2009, that makes it 3 years and 8 months... wow. I recall discovering it while browsing something about film or gear.
    And 2002 was 10 years from now. A kid back then, but time passes quite fast.

Many more years to come!

26. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Happy 10th anniversary to APUG! Long may it continue to serve its members and promote analog photography.

I'll add my thanks, Sean, for a decade of APUG.