A few Samples

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by ToddB, Sep 4, 2013.

1. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not spring for a subscription here and post to the gallery. Those are good photos, but flickr does auto sharpening so its hard to tell how well you actually did.

3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excellent photos.

Jeff

4. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Rick A.. the main reason I did Flickr, is that it's public viewing with being password protected. Nothing agaianst APUG, but you have to provide a log in and be a member to view Gallery.

Todd

5. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a slap in the face if I ever read one, and a way round paying any subs. and displaying your work free of charge, and thumbing his nose at us, what a cheapskate, I hope the moderators will close this loophole .

6. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What you said!!

7. kintatsu

kintatsu Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I understand it. There are those outside the film community who wouldn't be able to see his work if he only posted it here. Perhaps that's what he meant with his reply. Giving anyone the initial benefit of the doubt seems reasonable enough!

I do think, though, that he should be springing for a membership. We all get so much from this forum, that the price is far less than the value we get in return! Just the time put into keeping this place for us is worth far more than the cost, and deserves something.

I hope I'm not being out of line.

8. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It makes the members like us who are subscribers Rick look like idiots, I've been retired for nine years and still manage pay my dues.

9. kintatsu

kintatsu Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The issue isn't that we look like idiots, at least to my thinking. It shows we appreciate the site.

If being able to show his work to folks outside the realm of APUG is important, there isn't much choice. No one will join just to see one person's work.

He should be paying for his membership, and showing his appreciation for the work and value this site provides to everyone. Even before I went back to film, this site was a gold mine of photographic information, and the fee is worth every penny and then some!

Just my thoughts, and again, I hope I'm not out of line!

10. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi todd

im a bit confused ..

don't you need to log in to post anything on flickr, and log in to post to thread's here ?
    not really sure what the difference is, other than apug's gallery being for subscribers
    which squelches down on image theft.
    while i have a flickr account i rarely post anything there because i don't like the idea
    of people stealing my work, and its well known that ad agencies and other people
    who would usually pay for stock or paid photographer's work prowl and steal work fromflickr.

john

11. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a web-site (never much liked flickr) I direct people to if they want to see some of my photographs. APUG galleries see my work first though. I value the feedback I get from the other subscribers. I fly an idea, or post not- quite-right prints, and know I'll get some thoughtful responses.

Anybody who visits APUG more than a handful of times a year should cough up a subscription. It is CHEAP! CHEAP! CHEAP! for the immense amounts of information, amusement and support.

If you can't afford a subscription, I wonder how you can afford photography? It is not, as a wise man said, for the faint of wallet.

12. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    didn't mean to start something..

OK.. If I want to show my friends and family my images this is what there faced with on APUG gallery:

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. You are trying to view the APUG Gallery (which for bandwidth & performance reasons is only open to subscribers), you must be a subscriber. click here for details.
    3. If you are trying to post a classified ad, you may be using an old link try clicking "Classifieds" in the main menu bar instead. Also, you must be a subscriber to post ads. click here for details.
    4. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    Log Out Home

Flikr is an easier way to show SOME not all my work to folks. Does this make sence? I don't put anything on there there that I don't want snipped.

ToddB

13. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been on disability for nine years, and this is well worth spending a miniscule portion of my meager income on. I also have a flickr account, and don't trust it, but trust the galleries here implicitly.

14. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anything online can be stolen or misused. Don't trust anyone if that's a concern for you.

Despite the changes flickr made that I'm really upset about, it is still a good place to put some photos you want to share. I use it to put up images that I use at LFPF or share with friends. If you use descriptions and tags, you can also learn a lot how other people use a piece of equipment, developer, film, location, camera, etc... I like following other photographers with related artistic interests as well. It's a big dose of creativity anytime I feel like it.

This is still a good place to financially support even if you don't put up photos. It's probably less $ than a tv channel you like if it were possible to buy channels al le carte.

15. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Understood guys... I'll spring for an official membership here eventually. I have Flikr tied into my website. I have to appeal to the masses. As good as the scans are.. It still doesn't hold a candle to print from neg to fiber base paper.

ToddB

16. MatthewDunn

MatthewDunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    At least you have a good handle and perspective on your appeal as an artist...

17. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think a lot of the members here, especially the paying subscribers, seem to recognize the enormously unique nature of this site in a world drowning in that other technology and so become very protective of both APUG and, by extension, its creator Sean as well.

Some of the subscribers even voluntarily pay far more than the very modest yearly subscription rate because of that very recognition. And a desire to keep this place alive.

Not saying you need to be like them. Just saying that may be part of the reasons why you're seeing such a reaction.

:smile:

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2013
  18. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I completely understand.. I didnt mean to upset anyone.

ToddB

19. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To be clear ...

No one minds it if you want to use flikr because of its advantages.

We get a bit grumpy if you are trying to benefit from the advantages of APUG subscription (including image critique from APUG subscribers) without paying the small fee.

20. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What's to stop people posting links to their digital pictures on any of the photo shareing sites on A.P.U.G.?,

21. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ToddB,
    A lot of members here have FLICKER accounts in addition to their APUG GALLERY/PORTFOLIO. Their signature line contains a link to their Flicker page which contains a lot of hybrid/digital images but the Gallery/Portfolio images are exclusively analogue.