A Gathering in New Hampshire

Discussion in 'New England' started by Ted Harris, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Gary Samson and I are organizing a gathering for large format photographers at my place on Saturday, April 19th. Fleshing out the plans now but figure on early afternoon 'till you want to leave. We'll have chow, plenty of opportunities to shoot, both in the woods and the studio. We'll also be able to do some scanning and printing.

Richard Ritter will have some of his cameras here, I'll have my usual collection and I hope Gary will bring his 12x20.

Let me hear from everyone who's interested. I'll be sending out an email next week.

Looking forward to a great gathering.

2. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    We already have around ten confirmed. The more the merrier.

3. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At this point, I can't confirm anything that far ahead...so I'll let you know as we get closer to the 19th.

drew

ps. tried to send a pm...but it never seems to work!

4. JamesG

JamesG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would be interested Ted. Please keep me in the loop.

James

5. joe monteiro

joe monteiro Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This might work please keep me in mind also.

Joe

6. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I am interested as well.

7. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Looks like we are going to have a good group with 16 confirmed so far.

8. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi all,

Now that we are inside of a month I'm going to start sending out some details via email. I'll till make some pots here but the good stuff (directions, who is coming, timing, etc.) will only be in the emails.

So far, we've got 19 confirmed and 4 'maybes.' At least two are coming up Friday night and we'll go to dinner. Most folks coming from NH and VT but the confirmed list also includes folks from MA, NY and ME.

So, if you are interested, please send me an email so you can keep in touch.

So,

9. JamesG

JamesG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ted,
    I know you will eventually be posting directions, but if you could give me a headsup on some motels in the area, I need to book a room for Friday and Saturday nights. I plan on coming unless some big job comes along in the studio.

James

10. Mark_S

Mark_S Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm interested, but can't confirm.

I am at a trade show in Vegas, and will get back late night on the 18th. This sounds like a great way to destress....

11. JamesG

JamesG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like I will be busy in the studio Friday and Saturday. I'll have to make it another time. Hate to miss it...

James

12. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where in New Hampshire is this? I found out I am going to Lunenburg, VT this week and might consider a drop-by if not too far.

Bill

13. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bill, see my email .... Enfield, NH about an hour from Lunenburg.

James, sorry you can't make it ... great you are busy.

14. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Looks like we're going to have a good sized group ..... 20-30!!!

Anyone else interested just yell.

15. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks to all who came yesterday. A grand time was had by all. We had over thirty folks. Gary Samson took a 12x20 group shot late in the day. Richard Ritter had his 7x17 and 8x10 on display. John Layton had his latest prototype to look at ... and his great pizzas. Of course, there were also all manner of other cameras around from a Chamonix 4x5 to Hany's Phillips Compact I. Lots of shooting, some scanning, good food and good company. Some beautiful prints on display (thanks Paul Wainwright, Ken Lee, Michael Graves and others ... and thanks to Bruce Barlow for the print racks). Special thanks to Michael Alpert for copies of his beautiful book.

Gary and I really enjoyed ourselves and know ya'll did too. It was a wonderful gathering. Final and special thanks to Amy who kept the food and drink flowing, made the yummy pasta and Brownies. We'll do it again.

16. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it was a great time! Sorry about having to leave so early but a very long ride was ahead of me! I did get some great shots of the Shaker granite building and the mill across the street as well as the red barn next to it. It was great to have all those fine art students there as well. I hope to see some images posted of the event....!
    drew

17. Mark_S

Mark_S Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ted

Thank you for hosting such a fine gathering. I loved the misture of people and cameras that you attracted.

Mark

18. asrafferty

asrafferty Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Info on Memorial Service for Ted Harris

Attached is FYI... please feel free to share as appropriate.

Thanks,
    Amy

Attached Files:

19. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I finally processed some film I shot during the visit to Ted and Amy's place...this shot is a crop of a 4x5 fuji
    chrome sheet. Ted told me to go down the street and shoot some of these beautiful stone buildings...so, I hope he looks down and approves...!

Attached Files:

20. asrafferty

asrafferty Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Drew, you got what I think is the most intriguing building in the whole Shaker complex! Some of Ted's shots of it are lined up so that you see straight through the windows to what lies beyond the opposite wall (he must have been standing on the car to get them!).

Your note gives me the opportunity to ask the folks here in New England if they would come visit our place in Enfield again to see and inspect the equipment for sale from his collection, and buy what they can use. It has to be sold, and I'm thinking of doing a weekend "open house" for the purpose, sometime in late August or early September, after I put the list "out there" in the next 2-3 weeks or so.

I know Ted would be happy knowing that his New England colleagues had the chance to see and consider buying it and putting it back into use... and he was always happy having people here talking about photography, so somehow this feels fitting and useful all the way around.

Any thoughts, Drew or others among our New England friends?

Thanks,
    Amy