A good short Zoom for Oympus OM?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Shiny, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Shiny

Shiny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks

jim

2. RH Designs

RH Designs Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How short is short? The Zuiko 28-48 and 35-105 zooms are both excellent IMHO, if a little bulky by today's standards. The 35-105 is my standard lens for general purpose photography.

3. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would forget a short zoom and get a Zuiko 100mm. Barely larger than the Zuiko 50mm and easily pocketable.

4. Shiny

Shiny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    28-50 or a little longer would be good. The smaller the better! I like to cary as little s possible.

I currently use a Zuiko 28, 50 & 135. I don't use the 135 very often though.

5. Paul.A

Paul.A Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Zuiko 35-105 is a stellar bit of kit. In fact it is the only reason why I keep my OM4 having gone to Canon.

6. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Vivitar Series 1 28-90

KK

7. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I have a Zuiko 35-70 that is nice.

8. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The 35-70mm f3.5-f4.5 is considered a very good lens, and hardly any bigger than the 50mm f1.8 prime. I have been using a 35-70mm f3.6, but it is big and heavy, and ruins the balance of the camera. So recently that one has been left at home.

I have begun to think just carrying a 40mm or 50mm prime is the better overall choice. You can typically move back and forth a few steps to get the proper composition.

9. Ben Taylor

Ben Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the Tamron SP 35-80mm f2.8-3.8 as my standard lens on my OM2.

It's perhaps a little heavy by modern standards, but it's fast, sharp and has a nifty continuous focus macro.

Only slight niggle is the Adaptall mount tends to get in the way of the shutter speed ring a little, otherwise I really couldn't rate it higher. Think it cost around £25 from a seller on eBay.

10. Simon E

Simon E Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A little late replying to this. Choices:

Olympus 35-70 f3.6 - superb two-touch lens with fixed aperture. Rare and sought-after.

Olympus 35-105 f3.5-4.5 - high quality one-touch zoom, going for peanuts on the 'bay these days.

Olympus 35-70 f3.5-4.5 - tiny two-touch zoom, suprisingly sharp a little too much barrel distortion at the wide end for me but a terrific travel lens (weight & size match 50mm primes). Don't confuse it with the inferior Cosina-made f3.5-4.8.

11. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The superb Kiron 28-105.

KK

12. oldglass

oldglass Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Sigma 35-70mm/2.8~4 is an excellent lens.

I think it's sharper even than the Zuiko 35-105mm.

13. Shiny

Shiny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cheers, i've looked at a few and tried a couple.

I tried a Tamron 35-70 f/3.5-5.6 (only £4!), It's OK but not all that good... not realy sharp enough. I just got the Sigma 35-70 f/2.8-4 for not much more and it's looking considerably better. Although i've yet to make any big enlargements - comparing negatives on the base board, it's looking very good (certainly sharper than the Tamron and close to my prime's). Hopefuly this will be a keeper! Most of the Zuiko's are a little out of my budget.

Thanks

Jim

14. Simon E

Simon E Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    To add to my earlier post in this thread re. the 35-70 f3.5-4.5, below is a scan from A4 sized image taken with this lens (original in colour). The printed image is more than sharp enough.

Attached Files:

15. Allan Swindles

Allan Swindles Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It depends what you're looking for - convenience or quality. I carry a Zuiko 28mm, 50mm, and 100mm, which incidentlally is the one that is used most, superb for isolating and concentrating on the main subject. I don't like zoom lenses. They came into being via the movie industry, which is where they belong. Moving pictures don't need to stand up to the same standards as a still picture, but then if you only print to 6/4, 5/7, what the h***.

16. Shiny

Shiny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, after a couple more rolls it seems the Sigma can't compete either. It's very inconsistent between focal lengths although centre sharpness is quite good.

For the moment at least im back to primes. I got a slightly bigger camera bag to make it easier and changing lenses a little quicker, it'll just fit an extra body too - so i've been carrying fast and slow film. Not much bigger than a single SLR bag - i can just get two OMs and 28, 50 and 135mm lenses - and it's not too heavy (can be a problem - broken hips!). One of the good Zuiko lenses is still a future possibility though.

Jim

17. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the 75-150 constant f4 zoom and it delivers very nice contrast, colour rendition and sharpness. A relatively small and light lens with 49mm filter diameter and built in hood. Also quite cheap now on used market. I will always keep this lens with my OM kit.

Attached Files:

18. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Kiron 70-150 f/4 zoom, is VERY good. Kiron (Kino Precision Industries) made the legendary Nikon "E" 75-150 for Nikon.

Kiron Kid