A Happy Accident

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by ME Super, Jun 12, 2014.

1. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A couple weeks ago I had a happy accident. I'd loaded the camera with a roll of Wittner Chrome 200D slide film. I'd set the camera (A Pentax PZ-20) on aperture priority mode (I don't know why I didn't use Manual, but I digress) and set the aperture for the flash I was using (A Pentax AF200S) to correspond to the film speed I'd selected. However, I neglected to let the camera in on the film speed, so it assumed 100 speed film, since Wittner Chrome 200D isn't DX coded. Off I went to my son's graduation. I realized after I'd shot all the graduation pictures that the camera's aperture was set correctly for the flash (f/4 for ISO 200) but the camera was on aperture priority and thought it had 100 speed film.

The pictures came out pretty good, I think. It was mixed lighting (flash + mercury vapor lights in the gym) so the background color is a little off. What's awesome is there's all sorts of detail in the background, yet the foreground was properly exposed by the flash.

AAA035.JPG

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks good!

Jeff

3. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice result indeed :smile:. And congrats to your son :wink:.

4. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That certainly worked out serendipitously!

5. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes it did. I'm happy with it, and I'll have to remember this trick for bringing up shadows in the background when using flash!

6. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just be aware that if the camera picks a shutter speed that is too low you might get a "ghost" image from camera movement, or else just blurring.

7. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    True, but these were teenagers who were sitting still. I do have one where the flash failed to fire, and there's definite blurriness due to movement on it.