A Humbling Experience...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Dan Henderson, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I went to one of my favorite haunts last evening to do some shooting. Then finished up the roll tonight in the studio. Then opened the magazine to remove the roll of film. And found out there was no film inside. I can honestly say that in 7 or 8 years using this equipment, I have never done that before. I have not done much shooting this summer since returning from Photostock, but jeez, I didn't think I was THAT rusty!!!

2. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

You mean this is the first time the "missing film trick" bit you? Consider yourself very fortunate...

Ed

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gee, this never happened when we had to look in the red windows to advance the film!

Steve

4. RoNinHeart

RoNinHeart Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Don't feel bad, my last roll of 120 I loaded backward. I loaded 4 or 5 backs at the same time, I'm sure they're all backward. I haven't had the heart to look.

5. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Done it. Shot 4 or 5 empty holders on one of the best days at the Great Salt Lake I have ever had. All I could do was laugh. The best part was that although I didn't have the negatives, and will always wish I did, I still had a great experience. Really illustrated for me that a big part of what I do is for the love of the work.

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bet that every exposure was right on and the composition was perfect!

Steve

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have in the past shot a whole roll with my seldom used Contax 11 with the lens cap on.

8. Graham.b

Graham.b Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can say i shot with a lens cap on my Bronie 645, but my wife Anne has shot a role on her OM40 which never really wound on.

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  10. Frank Hoerauf

Frank Hoerauf Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    the best shot is always the one you didnt take. i think jason said it best. but we have all done it ..........oops i forgot to load the film. the best thing is you can laugh about it.

11. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    It just creeps up on you like that. Must be time for retirement. Now if you had come down to the "home" in Ohio for the gathering with Bill and Joe, we had daily exercises in loading film, removing lens caps, zipping your fly, all the important stuff. Next year will be better for you. Trust me I was in sales. See you next summer.

John Powers

12. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Been there done that. It's even worse when you remove the film from the camera and then can't find it later. I just know there are three rolls of 120 somewhere with some great latent images on them...

13. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When my son was playing in little league baseball years ago, I would attend every game and I would make make a lot of noise. He was as inept as I was at his age. He was kept in right field. I would always take mt Leica M5 to each game. I was at a game amd had my 135mm Tele-Elmar on the camera when a ball was hit to him in right field. I had him in focus and tripped the shutter at the right moment as he caught the ball..

Too bad that the camera was empty. Too bad that he never again caught a ball.

14. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    True, but I've had many great double exposures that way! :D

To the OP: Dan, your camera will let you shoot without film in it? All the ones I have will not wind properly unless there is film (Hasselblad, Mamiya 645, Holga, ZeroImage pinhole). The roll film back for the 4x5 is the exception. It doesn't care...
    I have forgotten many things lately. I misplaced my light meter for the Photostock trip, for instance. And I'm 37. Go figure.

- T

15. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thomas: I can assure you that I am talented enough to compel a Hasselblad 501CM with an A12 back to happily shoot an entire 12 frames with no film in the magazine. Perhaps I should be paying more attention to those little red signals on the magazine that indicate film status.

16. Tom Reardon

Tom Reardon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Once at a workshop I remarked that that was the one mistake I'd never made in 25 years of shooting

Sure enough - 30 min later I was watching the film counter run past 40 :smile:

17. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am perfect. (at everything I've never tried, anyhow)

18. Seabird

Seabird Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Reminds me of a true story:

More years ago than I care to remember I participated in a tramping (= backpacking for all you foreigners) trip through the spectacular Mt Aspiring Nat Park in New Zealand. A couple of blokes and a couple of (unattached) girls, with two blokes (me and another) showing an interest in the same girl...

Long story short, after lots of macho posturing around many things including cameras/artistic vision etc... we get to the end of the trip. Guess who discovered they had no film in their camera! :mad: Not Me. :smile:

Guess who got the girl (now the present Mrs B) :D

There may be more riding on this than you realise!

Carey Bird

http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbird/index.html

19. scott k

scott k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's even worse when the LCD on the camera says 3 and you do a lot of shooting and check the LCD when you are done and see the same old 3, turn the camera around and realize it is an E (empty) not a 3:sad:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008