A "new" brand of film holder

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Deckled Edge, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Deckled Edge

Deckled Edge Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Manhattan Be
    8x10 Format
    I use several LF/ULF formats, and own a long list of film holders, but today I ran across a new one on me. I recently acquired a single new-to-me 7x17 holder with no external name, and a somewhat peculiar rib lock. I previously referred to it on another post as a "no name." Well, it's not. I loaded it today, and while dusting it out, I found on the hinge the name stamped prominently in purple ink. Seebold Invisible Camera Company. With that evocative name I couldn't wait to load the film and run for Google, where I came upon an article by Rudolf Kingslake detailing the history of the Gundlach company (AKA Korona). It seems that Mr. Seebold acquired Gundlach for a short time, and changed its name to the eponymous Invisible Camera Company.
    Now, if there is anything I am not when campaigning with a 7x17 and all the bells and whistles that it requires, it's invisible.
    I wonder if any of you Korona shooters, or anyone else for that matter, can claim in his stable of holders a bona fide Seebold?
  2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Sep 7, 2002
    Honolulu, Ha
    Large Format
    Yes, my Korona says that too, and I suspect the holders, which are original, probably have the same stamp. I hadn't really noticed.

Apparently this company made the first surveillance cameras, hence the name. The 7x17" camera certainly isn't "invisible." If I understand it correctly, they collaborated with a company located in the same building that manufactured movie cameras to come up with the surveillance camera.