A new daunting challenge....

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by gandolfi, May 2, 2013.

1. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    ..self initiated, I' afraid...

My school has just built teo brand new houses for our students, and this monday we got out Minister of Culture up here to officially open these houses...

I don't really know how, but I managed to get her to go into my studio for some portraits..

I went "crazy" and took four exposures.. and today I developed them. three out of these four could be used for my project.

I have the ides to make her into a Bromoil print (surprise) but I am in doubt on what kind of bromoil to make:

A straight beautiful image with a single warm tone?

A "wild" bromoil with messed up background?

A multicoloured bromoil with wild and changing colours?

Many possibilities...

I would like to hear your opinions on this. I made a big double portrait one and a half year ago, and there I got so many nice ideas and comments..

(see here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum54/97373-my-process-making-portrait.html )

I'll upload the three straight scans of the negatives I developed today, and my bigest question is: which one to use?
    Which do you prefer..

(I'll also upload an image showing me and the minister in the studio... digishit, but just to show you the setting... I can delete it again.)

I hope you'll help me - I am out of my depths..

Attached Files:

2. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I would use number 3, but crop it to show just head and shoulders and then make a slightly warm tone image using black/brown ink.

3. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just my opinion:
    1 has a better smile, and looks more personable.
    2 - I don't like the angle her head is at. I like this exposure the least as well.
    3 looks more dignified and proud, and less shadow on her left cheek.

I think 3 is the best exposure, but I like her expression in 1 best.

4. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like #3 best- having her sit higher in the frame makes her look more energetic and more commanding. I'd play around with all three types of bromoil but I think a multi-colored one would be very impressive, and from the looks of her, the one she'd like the best.

5. horacekenneth

horacekenneth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Would love to see your final product.

I think they're all great, but 2. is definitely my favorite. I think she shows the most character there. 3. is my second favorite.

6. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I have been looking and looking at theese three images, and I think I am in agreement that number two is out...

The number three was made for a couple of reasons: Firstly she is a rather small person, so every time we see her in tv, the interwiever and camera are looking down at her...

Secondly; If I am going to make a big bromoil and this should hang higher than "our" eyes, then it would look silly for her to look up (?) - she should be portrayed as the strong, kind person she in fact is...

I'm leaning towards nr three..

7. JOSarff

JOSarff Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Gandolfi (can I cll you Gan?):

I spent 20+ years working in and around Washington DC, almost 10 years with the US Information Agency TV unit (don't jeer, I needed the money) and the one thing I learned is that most politicians have NO SENSE OF HUMOR when it comes to their image. Beyond that, what was her personality like. Was she warm and approachable, cold and distant, unreadable? Did she laugh and have a good time during the photo session or was it like a bad funeral? If so, she may respond to a more 'lite hearted" approach to a print. On the other hand, if she was cold, distant or unreadable, I'd favor a more straight approach. Less chance for fallout on you and the school.

I have a hard time telling from the three portraits where she falls in the 'warm and fuzzy' scale (10 is a purring cat that feel like a stuffed animal but licks your face, 0 is Dick Cheney) To play it safe, try making a semi straight one of her, but make a neg from the digipix and just go crazy on it.

All the best,

Joe

8. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Joe (can I call you Jo? :wink: )

I think there's a world of difference in polititians here and in the States (?)... I have a Hungarian student who almost into schock to see her without bodyguards or lots of very black cars surrounding her....

I have the distinct feeling that Marianne Jelved (the minister) has a lot of humour... (whether she has it regarding her portrait is another matter though..)

But I think when I have decided on which negative to use, I'll make maybe 5 images and then try out different bromoil techniques to see what works or not...

9. nicholai

nicholai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking forward to see what you'll get out of it! I thought number two looks more personal than the others, but number three would be equally good.

10. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Obviously, you've never seen what Emil can create with bromoil.

11. horacekenneth

horacekenneth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    laaame

12. Ghostman

Ghostman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Number 3 has a certain je ne sais quoi.

Your bromoil portraits are the most interesting and beautiful things I have seen in recent memory. Very inspiring.

13. dorff

dorff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, I'll bite. #1 seems somehow flat, devoid of character compared to the other two. I think #2 shows more of a twinkle in the eye. At first glance I liked it the least, but after several looks it is the one that sticks with me and that gives the most of a hint at what her character might really be like. I also think that it is the one of the three that will work best with your intended processes, thanks to the more contrasting background and the much better eyes. You can make it work or not depending on how you handle the bromoil. What is really important in my view is that the eyes are not lost in the process.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. rwreich

rwreich Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I immediately prefer no.1 because of the nature of the shadow and the quality of the half smirk. I also like the catch in her left eye... you really can't go wrong having to choose between the three, though!

16. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Number 3 has by far the most interesting look. It captures my imagination and it's a dignified way to present her to the world.

I think you should play around with colorful bromoils prints, for sure. Your creative self will take over once you get into it, and you will find a good way of making something extraordinary, Emil. Like you always do.

17. JOSarff

JOSarff Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It was just a thought. Good luck.

18. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Minister of Culture (!?!), Jeez. After reading your relativistic responses, us Americanos are so foreign to the league of sensibility expressed in your neck of the woods, that it is almost suicidal to express any opinion. So off the cliff I go...

None of the first three come close to cutting it for me, and would likely, in these parts at least, put me in great physical danger from the sitter if published. As it seems unlikely to repeat the session, the fourth at least illustrates the process of the artist with the minister. I agree with (the laaame) desertratt.

19. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would print one of the three (I think they all have qualities that make them worthy of a good print) that you believe most shows that good humor. My choice is number 1, though 3 is the most conventional. I would then suggest you work your magic on number 2, since she seems almost impish in that, and if I may say so, that fits your style. Give her both images. She may want to display or reproduce the straight shot for public consumption, she will either love the altered image or hate it, but give her a chance to do one or the other. It's not as if you were going to publish the altered image without her permission. She is receiving a gift from a talented and distinguished artist- she will most likely be grateful.

20. horacekenneth

horacekenneth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't understand the negative comments, but then again, I am American.

I think the portrait is exquisite from her wry and noble expression all the way to the details in the scarf.

An example of a bad portrait would be the one on her Wikipedia page.

21. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First, for me it's either #1 or 2. But I like #2 best, there's a certain mischievous look to her expression. Sort of an "I've got my eye on you" look, in a good maternal/paternal way.

22. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    What? Don't you have a Minister of Culture?

I don't understand your first sentences - the word "relativistic" is not excisting in my dictionary... So I'd like you to explain it (and your first sentence), please.

To be clear: I have NO idea how the final images will look - if really bad, then I'll spare her the pain of seeing them. In danger I'll never be. Not from her - not from anybody over here... (a laughing stock maybe..)

Thank you all for your comments - all the positive ones have made me even more uncertain, on which image to use - the negative ones have convinced me, I am on a right track... :cool: (maybe).

And just to be sure it is clear: the colour image is not (of course) made by me - if she is to get this, it is not my decision...

23. ajmiller

ajmiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use all three......?

24. Rafal Lukawiecki

Rafal Lukawiecki Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well done for the achievement for the school. Looks like a lovely place to work...

I like #2 the most, and I'm sure you can print it nicely. The photo showing the set-up is pretty interesting, too. Good luck!

25. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Maybe a vignette through Petzval then color bromoil with various heavy waxy background treatments

26. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    yes - I think I will experiment on the backgrounds - so I may have to print several prints to have for experimenting...