A "New Kodachrome", why didn't they? ...

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by dmr, Jul 2, 2009.

1. dmr

dmr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was doing some thinking last night -- yes, dangerous I know.

Big Yellow has over 1/2 of a century of equity built up in the brand name Kodachrome, and it seems to me that the various Rhodes Scholar MBA marketroid types that Big Yellow obviously employs would like to retain that equity instead of flushing it down the hopper by "retiring" the brand.

I would think that an obvious way to salvage the equity while retiring the current K14 film would be to introduce something along the line of a "New Kodachrome", maybe branded something like "Kodachrome-E" which would actually be an E6 film with colors somewhat restrained as compared to the current Ekta/Elitechrome offerings.

Any thoughts on this one, gang? :smile:

2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's why they're the in the executive offices and we're the ones stuck holding their golden bags.

3. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I suspect you're far more likely to see it stuck on a P&S digital camera...

4. dmr

dmr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    /me throws up! :sad:

5. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Technically speaking, that should be possible, but it would require a considerable amount of time and budget. Given the fact that E6 is a shrinking (and small) market and that Kodak hasn't done any effort to develop anything new, I find it hard to believe that they will do now. I can't blame them, they need to get the investment back and that's not very easy IMHO.

6. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The all-new Kodak Kodachrome. Our limited run of the pimped out Easy Share . . .

7. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Talk to your local E-6 processor about the trend in numbers of rolls developed over the last several years. They'd love to see more coming in to justify keeping the service, but the places I've used in the last 10 years have gone out of business, or gone from 2-3 runs/day to a couple of runs a week. From what I've seen, it appears that digital is replacing E-6 at a faster rate than it has replaced print film. E6 was driven by the professional market, and that has converted earlier and more rapidly than the amateur print film market.

Besides that, Kodachrome shooters know exactly what Kodachrome is, and if Kodak came out with an "E-6 Kodachrome" there would be a year long 500 page thread on APUG blasting Kodak for it, and it would never be accepted by Kodachrome customers as a real substitute. Kodak has already come out with warmer balanced E6 films that were designed to have more of a Kodachrome balance, and there's a current thread on APUG about that possibly being discontinued.

Lee

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  8. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Precisely. It would be a no-win for Kodak in either the
    fiscal or public-relations spheres, to replace a beloved flagship niche product with a scorned substitute in a rapidly-declining product category.

Just look at the frequency with which Kodak gets castigated here--where folks should know better--for "abandoning" its customers whenever it drops a little-used or unprofitable product. (Look no further than this thread for an example of snarky commentary that doesn't advance the cause of film photography.) This despite offering a slate of new or improved films the past few years that it might actually be able to sell profitably.

Lee's analysis is spot-on.

9. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Yes, Lee's analysis is spot on.

10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think that Kodak considers Ektar 100 to be the new Kodachrome now that slides are more likely to be scanned and printed than projected.

I suppose you could project Ektar but it wouldn't look much like Kodachrome!!!

Steve.

11. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Now that I'm coming to terms with K-14 being nearly gone, I would certainly give a fair trial to an E-6 substitute which successfully replicated Kodachrome as near as humanly possible.

If it really were that good, I wouldn't object to them calling it "Kodachrome-E", or whatever they like....but I don't think it will happen.

And I can't see even Kodak being misguided enough to label anything digital with the brand "Kodachrome" (but anything is possible :D ).

12. Dave Swinnard

Dave Swinnard Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

13. WolfTales

WolfTales Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Maybe it'll be like car makes, where they take away a model for a few years to make the public miss it, and then mysteriously re-introduce it again a few years later and everyone shouts a faded cheer.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do remember that Mannes and Godowski's Kodachrome was reusing a name used before for a 'film' that also was rather good and well respected.

So from that point of view, why not again?

16. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't think they sell enough Ektachrome to consider creating another E-6 film. I wish. I can't get through to Kodak because they are closed for the holiday but there is talk that E100GX and Elite Chrome 100 are being discontinued. Ektachrome has my support.

17. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If they were going to do something like this, it would need to be really different.

Maybe an ECN related process, tweaked to give negatives that were both scan-able for (paper) print production, and printable on to transparency materials (like Seattle Film Works in days of yore, but better).

It would be even better if there were a colour print material optimised for the contrast of the ECN negatives (I can dream can't I?).

Matt

18. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    anybody remember the "New Coke" marketing game?

19. Aurum

Aurum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If Kodak were selling the same quantity of Kodachrome, as the Coca Cola corp are selling cans of trademarked carbonated beverages, I can be confident of the following.
    a) they wouldn't have canned it
    b) you'd have K25,64,200 all the way to K3200, in 35mm, motion sizes, 120,220, all the way to 8x10
    c) Dwaynes would have melted under the strain, and would be looking for a bigger site.

If anyone these days is likely to launch a slide film with a K-14 pallette, I'm not sure its Kodak. More likely Fuji, as they appear to be still working seriously with E6.
    Kodak seem to be focussing on the C41 materials

20. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of course you could project Ektar; you just have to scan it first, and use a digital projector... :smile:

21. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    seeing big yellow is selling their printers
    (you know, the ones that are supposed to change the world)
    on the cartoon network inbetween episodes
    of chowder, spongebob and flapjack, it seems they have
    their priorities in a different place.

it is unfortunate, but true.

22. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is good to see that there is a new thread on Kodachrome first thing in the morning on APUG!

Steve

23. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I remember when Chevrolet did this with the Impala, they took a nice big North American car, discontinued it, then a few years later put the moniker on a much smaller car that bore no resemblance to the old one. Most likely if the Kodachrome name returned it would on some silly inkjet transparency film or something similar.

24. nsouto

nsouto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

pssssst!
    it's called: Fuji Astia
    use it or lose it...

25. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the tip, others please note. :smile: (I've actually already got a brick of 20 Astia ready in the freezer for when my K64 finally runs out. :wink: )

26. StorminMatt

StorminMatt Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One itty bitty problem here: Astia looks NOTHING like Kodachrome. It just looks too, well, too much like a Fuji film (what do you expect it to look like?). Ektachrome E100G is a MUCH better Kodachrome replacement.