A new SLR or not?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by apeiron, Jan 23, 2008.

1. apeiron

apeiron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I feel drawn to Nikon F5 and I try to convince myself that I'll use it as a second body, using F6 as first one.
    But I perfectly know there is no need of a second body because I use, when rarely it happens,a Canon F1 new .
    It' s rather a desire, and you know about what I'm talking about...:confused:, also considering good price now. I have to say however that they ask me about 700 euro, not a painless price.
    What do you think?
    Thinking over the question, perhaps it's much better if I finally decide to buy a film scanner or my first serious digital camera .
    I'll willingly read your remarks,
    apeiron:sad:

2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Get a second F6, or a D3.

3. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find having a second SLR to be quite useful (although I've gone to extremes and have many). If cost were a serious consideration I would probably have three cameras.

Why?

1. It's nice to have redundancy in case you have hardware failure.
    2. You can shoot different films (slide or print, colour or black & white, fast or slow...).
    3. Sometimes it's inconvenient or difficult to change lenses (fast-moving subjects, challenging weather). Having two cameras with different lenses and the same film can be convenient.
    4. Sometimes the second camera has different capabilities than the first one, and can complement the camera well. The F5 versus the F6 is not a great example of this :smile: (although the two cameras will make a good pair because of their similarity of operation), but, for example:
    a) an FM2n is a lot smaller than most AF cameras and will work better in very cold weather.
    b) An F70 or F80 has a built-in flash and is a lot smaller than an F5 or F6, which would make it a nice carrying-around camera for when weight and convenience are important.

Do you shoot enough for all this to make sense? I don't know. However, given the low prices of bodies, I think having another body makes a lot of sense.

If you can't justify the money that an F5 costs, getting an inexpensive F90x or F801s makes sense. They are well under a hundred dollars and will give you 85-90% of the capability of your F6.

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can clearly see that you are about to have an attack of G. A. S. :wink:

Steve

5. BobbyR

BobbyR Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does it have to be brand new?
    Other wise ebay has several for sale and some are going for under four hundred dollars.
    Jack's Camera whom I have dealt with has several and he stands behind his sales.
    Bobby

6. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    I fail to see what the point of your query is.

If you need a film back-up camera to your F6 then you've already identified the F5 as the likely one. Although, I'd suggest a F-100 instead.

If you would rather have a digital alternative - please ask this question on another site.

7. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    When I was doing a lot of semi-professional work, I always carried a Nikon F2A and an FE. They both were loaded with 36-exposure rolls, and I would change film when I got a break.

So, yes, I would get a second body. These days, just shooting for myself, I rarely carry a spare body.

8. mark

mark Member

Where are the Antacids. I know I had some around her somewhere. That there is a bad case of GAS.

9. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I presume you are not using the cameras professionally, since you say yourself you don't actually need any more cameras. On the other hand, if you like a Nikon F6, I'm sure you would enjoy comparing and contrasting a Nikon F5, which is certainly nice to have, so if you can afford it, go for it! But yes, a film scanner would be more sensible (if you WANT to be sensible), since it would do something that your present gear can't!

Regards,

David

10. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, for a little bit more than 700 euros you can also get a nice used Hasselblad...

11. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    GAS requires no rationalization or justification.

Just step right off onto the slippery slope!

12. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take two Gas-X, and call us in the morning.

P. S. GET A HASSY! That would be sweet. You already have the RR of 35mm, why not the same for MF?

13. apeiron

apeiron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Chris,
    I got a Hassy,a 500 C/M second hand and I used it for years. I sold it for a Pentax 67II and I am not going to come back... Too times in assistance, the first..., and too money for repairing it despite its legendary solidity.
    Not a great experience, but great photographically.
    :surprised:
    Apeiron

14. abudhabiandy

abudhabiandy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Apeiron,

I have a good F5, just serviced, you can have for 100 euros plus postage :smile:

I've had it for 18 months and it's a great camera!

Just be good to go a good home and stop getting dusty in my darkroom!

Cheers,

Andy

15. ksugden

ksugden Member

Hi Andy I am not the original poster but would give your F5 a very good home please send me a PM if it is still for sale

regards Keith

16. panastasia

panastasia Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan

apeiron,

I'm surprized you didn't satisfy your "desire" and go for the F5 for 100 euro. Who buys "new" anymore? Not me!

17. apeiron

apeiron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    and, finally, I bought a F100... sincerely satisfied, very very very much:tongue:
    with 50/1,4 permanently on it. Just to share with you...
    I like it, very very much. Its shutter noise too:D
    Apeiron