A new unusual Russian lens, Luch 180/6.8 - what to expect? :)

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by eumenius, Oct 16, 2006.

1. eumenius

eumenius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello friends,

I was in a small scientific trip to Novosibirsk, and guess what I've bought there on a flea market? Right, a new LF lens :smile: A true child of Russian war production, made in Krasnogorsk - a Luch, 180/6.8. Quite a nice lens, with iris aperture and with no aperture scale :smile: Built like tank, of course. The glass has some coating marks on both outer surfaces, not too much - no real scratches either. When I've disassembled it, I thought it to be an aplanate - but it's much more complex, two groups of exactly symmetrical three cemented elements (http://www.zenitcamera.com/catalog/images/cat-1949-p41.jpg and http://www.zenitcamera.com/catalog/images/cat-1949-p42.jpg). The datasheet from 1948 says it's a special lens optimised for 1:1 ratio, for phototransformation of aerophotograms. Well... my question is very stupid. Is it possibly an interesting portrait lens? If yes, I would make an aperture scale for it :smile: I ask because I've never used a lens of such an optical design, and I just don't know what to expect. Can't just try it - I have to make a lensboard to fit it in. The datasheet says that it gives only 12 lpm in centre, but it's perhaps only on full aperture. Should I give it a try, or it's too special? :smile:

By the way, I've repaired an old Compound on my 135/6.3 Tessar from 1912 - it's razor sharp and contrasty even on f/8. Go figure how did Dr. Rudoplh manage it in those years, he-he :smile:

Cheers,
    Zhenya

2. Iskra 2

Iskra 2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Old "Tessars" (Eagle Eyes) are hard to beat.:D
    I like old Schneider barrel "Xenars".

Where do you find those old FSU lenses? Any more around?

3. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Zhenya, it is an imitation f/6.8 Dagor. Just take the damned thing out and shoot it. It will probably do fairly well at distance, most Dagor types do, even when intended for 1:1 and yes, it will shoot better stopped down a bit than wide open. Not directly relevant, but my 210/7.7 Beryl S is a dagor type optimised for 1:1 and its pretty good at distance, best on 2x3 at f/16.

Where did the USSR custom of giving lens resolutions' wide open come from? I can see it for lenses intended for aerial use, because they're sometimes shot wide open, but for lenses to be used normally it isn't that informative.

Cheers,

Dan