A newb question on b/w paper

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Pfiltz, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Pfiltz

Pfiltz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm experimenting with different papers. Papers that I've bought off FeeBay.

Today, I'm test driving some paper called "Seagull". It say's it's a Bromide paper, which I have no clue as to what that means.

I'm using Arista B/W developer, which is mixed 1/9 per the instructions, and what I use almost on everything right now.

My first sheet was shot at 20sec / F22, no filter. Developed for 1.5 minutes. Came out all dark and cloudy kind of

Second sheet was 7 sec / f22, no filter, no safe light. Developed for 1.5 minutes, and it's just a lighter shade of grey.

If I just place a sheet in the developer with no exposure to it, and run it through the stop and fix, it should just be white.

Right?

2. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes. Put a piece through the dev and fix and if it is grey rather than white it has been age fogged. Do this and tell us what colour it is. If it is grey then how grey? Until we know the result it is difficult to get to a solution.

How old is the paper?

pentaxuser

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi pfitz

yep, unexposed paper through your fix should just be white.
    oriental / seagull is / was a great paper,

have fun!

john

4. Pfiltz

Pfiltz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, it was worth a shot on the paper.. 100 sheets of 8x10 ... Threw it in the developer for 1.5 minutes, stop 1 minute, and fix for 2 minutes.

I just looked back. I didn't get it off fee bay. Bought it from a forum member here.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
  5. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Pfiltz: If the paper STILL shows slight fog it is age fogged (assuming that the fog results with only development and no print exposure and is even thoughout): Try this: find out how long you can develop it and still retain a white base. Then, expose to match. Also, add some restrainer (potassium bromide or benzatriazole) to the developer. Finally, a weak Farmer's reducer after fixation will bring back the whites (but make sure your print is a bit denser so that the reduction will not result in too light a print). - David Lyga

6. Pfiltz

Pfiltz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi David..

I did a 7 sec exposure @ f22, and it was grey...

I guess I could do a 1 second exposure for giggles.

7. mfohl

mfohl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take a piece of paper out of the box or paper safe, and cut off a piece of it, maybe 2 inches. Put it directly into the developer with no exposure; leave it in there for your normal development time. With or without safelight. If there is any grey at all, I'm guessing the paper is old and/or hasn't been stored properly. Modern papers only last about 1 1/2 to 2 years if not refrigerated or frozen.

Good luck,

-- Mark

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with Mark about the test, but would add that I have used plenty of papers that have been stored at room temperature for 5-10 years that still behave well.

9. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I take it that the fogged paper is the dark grey one with a white circle. What is the white circle? Is this a spot that wasn't developed but only fixed? If the dark grey is an indication of the extent of age fogging then I'd be surprised if there is anything you can do to recover matters. Looks like it belongs in a waste bin.

You haven't said how old the paper is. If you don't know then ask the forum member who sold it to you. I suspect it is old

pentaxuser

10. Pfiltz

Pfiltz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The white circle is the reflection of the bullet light hung above. I'll do another test tomorrow. I'll see if the guy will tell me how old the paper is, if it matters.