A Nikon F at the ROM

Discussion in 'Toronto' started by PhotoJim, Nov 3, 2008.

1. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yesterday afternoon (Sunday, November 2, 2008) I was at the Royal Ontario Museum on Bloor Street in Toronto. (I was in town for a conference and had a day to myself before I came home to Regina.)

While I was there exploring the gift shop I saw someone carrying around a Nikon F. I hadn't seen one in the wild for years!

I said "Nice camera!" and we had a nice, brief conversation about classic cameras. He showed me the bottom of the camera and he had paid a whopping $14.99 for it at Value Village.

Anyway, it was kind of fun to see it. I wish I'd been carrying my F3. (To be honest I left all my camera gear at home - it tends to be a very busy week and I knew I wouldn't be in the mindset or have much spare time for photography.)

On the off chance that the F owner reads this, say hello. :smile:

2. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Holy ****! Only $15+tax? That's the cheapest F I've seen... Anyway, hopefully he joins up.

-J

3. naeroscatu

naeroscatu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Jim, I was the guy carrying the Nikon F at the ROM on Sun Nov 2nd. You know, when you told me you have the same passion I was thinking what are the chances that you may be a member of PN-classic camera where I post most of my findings or APUG. I'm glad to read your post. The thing is I bought the camera a day before we met so I was very anxious to take it out for a spin, still surprised it had no serious issues. I cleaned up the mirror and the prism, replaced the mirror bumper (melted) and that was about all it needed. Even more interesting is that camera came with a 24mm AI lens (unknown brand, very strange name that I don't remember now - I'm at work) in perfect working order. I have not developed the film yet but I promise to keep you posted. Cheers

4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heh. I was hoping you might be a member here but I figured you probably weren't. Small world! :smile:

I have to sheepishly admit that this was the first out-of-province trip I'd ever taken without taking a proper camera with me.

We'll definitely have to get together the next time I'm in the GTA.

5. mfophotos

mfophotos Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great deal on that F! Over the past year, I have had several nice Fs given to me, and one was in mint condition because it apparently was used only to shoot through a microscope. I had to change out the prism screen, as it was the wacky one made for microscopy. Works fine, though.

6. Terrence Brennan

Terrence Brennan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nikon Fs

I am often stopped--by working professionals--whenever I am out and about in Ottawa with two of my Nikon Fs. They both have F-36 motors, and cordless battery packs, and the usual comment goes something like, "...I haven't seen those in years..." or, "...I used to own x number of those..." I also met a young woman carrying a Nikon FTn at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Day.

7. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great deal on the F, I'll have to check Value Village more often......

8. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My mint, low serial # F is listed for over $5000. I would never get it, but I never use it out of fear! :sad:

Great deal!

PE