A pinhole camera big enough to sit in

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by Colin Corneau, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    While I'm not going to purport to copy the likes of Shi Guorui (http://www.slowlight.net/blog/?p=79)

I am interested in the feasibility of such a concept.

Could it really be as relatively simple as constructing a light-tight box with lumber, blacking-out materials, etc.? And how could I calculate the distance from opening to viewing surface?

I may construct this as a simple viewing room where participants can trace the image they see, or have large sheets of photo paper tiled to make a large photographic image.

Any help is gratefully accepted.

2. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Early artists used the camera obscura when painting. Recently the concept has been taken to the extreme with the aircraft hangar pinhole by the Legacy Project.

4. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And google Abe Morrell... he routinely turns hotel rooms into pinhole cameras, and photographs the projected images on the wall with all the furnishings in the room. They are really striking!

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2008
  6. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm thinking of something along the lines of what Shi Guorui has done, only it would be nice to use positive paper mentioned on another forum at this site.

Any hints on where to find info on constructing such a beast? The main concern, apart from light-proofing, would be the size of the aperture and its distance from the back wall/paper surface.

7. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i agree with looking at the work of abe morell ...
    some of his books tell how to turn rooms into pinhole cameras. maybe it can help you with some of your questions.
    as for light proofing, you can find light flocking material ( black rubbery cloth probably bought at a pro-camera store ... i know i got
    some at cameras.com / ep levines a few years ago .. ), or since you are building a "room" you can paint the walls flat-black.
    the usual number used for pinhole / coverage is 3" x focal length. you can easily make a pinhole yourself with a sheet of metal
    and a needle and sand paper.

-- good luck!

john

8. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A somewhat traumatic memory just surfaced... Years before I knew of the existence of the camera obscura.

Probably 35 or more years ago... (on CFB Petawawa) an adolescent prank in which I was thrust inside a dark shed by a bunch of bullies... which they then peppered with fist-sized boulders. As the wooden door began to splinter, shards of light painted the inside of the shed with superimposed images of the outside hoard. Despite the horror of the moment, it was really visually beautiful. (which I would never let on to the brutes) Now... where is my therapist's pager number? :D

[edit] Oh, yeah... did I mention they threw a girl in the shed with me... (hee hee) For the life of me I can't remember how the whole thing came about. (or the girl's name... sigh)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2008
  9. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    A long time ago a guy made his van into pinhole camera. I think someone else used a U-haul truck as a pinhole camera.

Jon

10. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format