A question re: Canon T90

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Trask, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The eyecup on my Canon T90 decided to jump off the camera and run away while I was out shooting, and I have the impression that I cannot now see the screen quite as clearly as I'd like to. The T90 manual says the camera has built-in -1 diopter, implying that there's a diopter glass built into the rubber eyecup. As I've lost mine, I can't verify that, so I'd appreciate it if some kind soul having a T90 would have a look and let us all know the answer -- is there a glass element in the eyecup.

If the original T90 eyecup is just an eyecup without a diopter lens built-in, I've read that a Canon EF eyecup fits well and may actually stay on the camera better, and it's actually available on the market. But if the T90 eyecup has a diopter lens, my life just got a bit more difficult -- I'll have to post a WTB add here on APUG to see if anyone has a spare one they'd like to sell.

Thanks for taking a look at your T90 and posting back re: the diopter issue.

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are three sorts Canon eye cups:

-) the standard one to glide on the diopter frame, without lens,

-) the glide on ones with corrective lens

-) the plain rubber actual cup as delivered with the AE-1. It is squeezed around the four edges of the diopter frame

3. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

here is the photo of my T90 eyecup. Can you compare it?

Regards,

Attached Files:

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Darko, that is no eye cup.
    Just the plain accessory frame of the diopter.

5. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The original rubber eyecup looks like this below. Most photos of new-condition T90s will have one of these on the camera - whether the standard rubber eyecup like this comes with a built-in diopter lens is the question. images.jpeg

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The corrective T-90 eye cups look like the standard T-90 one you got. They were offered in a range of ten grades.

Alternatively there were the classic corrective lenses, without rubber cup and no means to fix such.

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you will find that the -1 diopter is built into the optical system, not the eyecup.

And that frame looks like the frame on my Canon EOS bodies, as well as an old Canon digital body that I have.

You may be happily surprised at how easy it will be to replace that.

8. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yes, that auction website is full of Canon EF rubber eyecups, but woefully short of any sort of actual diopters for T90s, either separately or as part of a diopter/eyecup duo. KEH has nothing of this sort. May be unobtainium, though Canon sold more than a few T90s.

I appreciate all who have weighed in thus far.

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Matt says, that -1 setting is achieved by the design of the diopter, it is the standard of the plain body.

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take your eyecup to the optician. And best take the body too to check at the finder for best correction.

11. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always get annoyed about the lack of an adjustable diopter. Standard with S-8 cameras.
    But to be fair there was no SLR with such when the T-90 was introduced.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

12. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The ordinary T90 rubber eyecup has no correction glass in it the +1 is in the cameras optical system, the original rubber eyecups are very rare and expensive on ebay a current made replacement made by Canon that fits and works is the eyecup.. EB

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

13. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get an optometrist to examine your eyes then make a corrective eyepiece for you that can be fashioned into the eyecup. The T90 was never particularly stellar at catering for people who wear glasses, so it's a case of innovate and experiment (but don't disassemble the native eyeglass on the camera body!).

14. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe look into eye laser surgrey?

Jeff

15. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I forget which EOS eyecup actually works on the T90 (Ben's probably right); they'll all slide on, they just have a different profile and some will interfere with the film back.

There is no glass in the T90 eyecup. And if you want to add a diopter to your T90, use the EOS diopters; they fit just fine.

It occurs to me though that the eyecups for the 7N series are physically larger than the others and aren't really usable on the T90. May be same with the diopters, though I never used one on my 7NE.

16. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ben is right, I have a Canon EB eye cup on my aT90 at the moment and it fits perfectly..

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

17. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One guy (that I read) cuts the center (not glass) of an old pair of spectacles , to fit the viewfinder, and sticks it in with weak glue............................

18. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What if he has astigmatism, or varifocal lenses ?.

19. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    :smile: Well it's not for everyone.......but as millions of people have similar eye sight esp with problems getting older, you could go to a boot sale and pick up a pair of spectacles for 50p and use that :wink:

20. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wear glasses with varifocal lenses and have no problem with them using the EB eyecup with my T90, I can't use a correction lens because I have astigmatism.

21. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thank you, everyone.

Maybe I should get some flip-up glasses so I can put a diopter on the camera and use my varifocals when walking around. Then I'd look cool -- well, maybe not as cool as Willie Mays, but then few people do!

3231817.jpg

22. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well now I'm old my problem is focusing at near things, and don't fancy sticking a rectangular piece of lens (from my old spectacles) into the viewfinder of my T90...but in a previous post it was mentioned than a Canon EB eye cup will fit a T90, well I've ordered one from the bay at £1.99 with free post and hoping I can fit something into that.