A "sleeper" chrome film

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by tjaded, Oct 25, 2006.

1. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was just looking at some older 120 slides of mine and a few particular ones really jumped out at me, they all had one thing in common. They were all Agfa RSX II iso 50. That, to me, is one phenominal looking slide film! I wish I had bought up more when I had the chance. Anyone else like (or dislike) this film?

2. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love it too. I don't shoot very much slide, but that's my favorite. There are probably only about 5 rolls left in my fridge.

3. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found about 5 of them in a Halifax photo store last summer and bought them all. The color balance is very nice, that odd balance of neutral and deep colors.

4. mrwestphal

mrwestphal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just had too make me go and dig in the depth of the deep dark freezer didn't you! Well, if you really need to know,2-25 sheet boxes still sealed, 2-10 sheet boxes, 1 sealed 1 with 4 sheets left all in 4X5.
    I am saving it for a very special ocasion:wink:

5. braxus

braxus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just ordered 3 120 rolls to try out from a store in Canada-if they can still get it. I'm not sure what their stock is, but they still list it (it says "special order"). No 35mm though. I usually use Fuji or Kodak, but given the good comments on this film it would be neat to try a few rolls. What is its strength- as in what makes it a good film?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2006
  6. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Holy cow...if you actually get it, let me know where you got it from! I would kill for a few more rolls of 120. What I wouldn't do for some 4x5! Anyhoo....

The things that I like about it are kind of hard to single out. For one thing, the reds are like no other e-6 film that I've seen. Overall it has a very accurate color palate, but some still pop---does that make sense? In a weird way, it kind of reminds me of old Kodachrome, as in 1940's/1950's Kodachrome. Not exactly, but it has a certain something like Kodachrome. Maybe I'm just imagining it!

7. braxus

braxus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I checked the site again and I missed it before- but it says special order. So Im not keeping my hopes up getting any. I wonder if they have some warehouse with a stash of this stuff or not. Im going to call tomorrow to get more info. If they can still get some Im going to add a couple extra rolls and then I'll pass the info along to you if its still available.

8. braxus

braxus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I checked with the store today and she claims they may still be able to get some. I asked about 35mm as well and shes looking into it. I phoned just in the last hour and apparently my order went through. They couldn't say how much of this film the warehouse had, but they did say my order for 5 rolls was processed. I think its safe to say they would have enough stock for a larger order. The place I bought it from in Canada was Vistek. Here is the link:

http://www.vistek.ca/details/details.aspx?WebCode=100176

Vistek also list some of this in 8x10 format in boxes of 10 if anyone is interested. Though its not on their site, they can get RSX 50 in 35mm as well. You have to call to get Lisa from Web ordering to order it for you.

If you want another store that can has some 35mm stock- check:

http://www.leoscamera.com/

They have 14 rolls of 35mm left.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2006
  9. Earl Dunbar

Earl Dunbar Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I loved this film in 35mm; I can't recall if I tried it in 120. What was remarkable to me was that with it's neutral colour balance, the blues popped but were still "accurate", if that makes any sense. It wasn't the blue shift of the older Ektachromes at all, just rich. I don't remember the reds being the equal of K25, but maybe I'm just not remembering any of those originals.

10. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well...I just placed an order online for a brick (20 rolls) of 120. We shall see if it shows up! I should call and see how much they have in their warehouse. Bye bye money!

11. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh hey! I just noticed it was local. The guy that runs that place is pretty cool. I'm not pushing his auction or anything, just letting you know he's a good egg.

13. braxus

braxus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sshhhh. Dont tell anyone- Im bidding on it. :tongue:

14. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    oopppsss...sorry! Hope you get it.

15. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    AGFA RSX 50 Film Sale

I own a lab based in Sydney Australia, I have 140 rolls of this AGFA RSX 50l in 120 format in deep freeze and another 10 rolls of 35mm. I sell the 120 film for 12.00 a roll and the 35mm film for 14.00 a roll. All of it is dated 12/2003 and is from batch #6437

Additionally I also sell RSX 100, RS 1000 but I do not stock RSX 200

I am happy to sell internationally.

~Steve Frizza
    The Lighthouse
    Steve@thelighthousebps.com.au
    +61 (02) 9365 6063

16. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    amendment

Sorry i should have stated the batch for the 120 was as above hoever the 35mm was dated 07/2003 and has a batch number of #1379

~Steve
    The Lighthouse

17. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also, this stuff is great to cross process.
    You get vivid, saturated colour & increased contrast.
    That goes for all the Agfa slide films.

18. Charlie-J

Charlie-J Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Love this film have 19 120 rolls in the freezer, wish I had bought more.
    I would keep an eye on the German Ebay site there has been quite a bit of in date Agfa colour film popping up from reptuatble sources. They take pay pal and post WW and the postage is not to bad to the UK anyway.
    There is some RSX II 100 on there now.
    I got 200 sheets of 6.5X9 Apx 100, that will keep my plate cameras going for a while.

Charlie

19. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I shot a lot of it -- one of my books, Battlefields of the [American] Civil War was, as far as I recall, shot mostly with this -- but my all-time favourite slide film, bar none, including Kodachrome (there's heresy!) was Fuji RF/RFP ISO 50. This is why I always hated Velvia: RF/RFP was knocked on the head when Velvia came out.

Cheers,

Roger

20. MartinB

MartinB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe Courtney Milne has a preference for RSX film. Most of his work until recently was on RSX although I am not sure if he is still using it. If you haven't seen any of his books (see Emily Carr Country) you should try to find one. There are images in his website galleries but there is no indication of which are shot with RSX. Courtney Milne's Website

21. poutnik

poutnik Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    tjaded (and others), how do you compare the RSX 50 to RSX II 100? Is it like comparing Velvia 50 to Velvia 100F (or even Provia 100, or E100), i.e. visibly different films, or do they have the rendering of colors similar?

22. sanderx1

sanderx1 Member

Shooter:
    35mm

I liked it much more than Velvia, the colours were distinctly more to my taste. Too bad its gone :sad:

23. sanderx1

sanderx1 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    RSX 100 is not like Velvia 100(F or not). Its more like Astia with more punch but extremely neutral gray tones. It too is essentialy gone.

24. brooklynkid

brooklynkid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fuji Provia

I once bought about ten rolls of RSX 50 short dated. I agree that it was a really nice film. Great for color balance, resolution, and clarity. I now use Fuji Provia 100 and really love it. It is at least as good as the RSX 50. My only work is in 35 mm so I don't know what Provia is like for medium - large format. However, it is great for 35 mm.