A "Slightly Wierd' Process

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by wildbillbugman, Aug 19, 2011.

1. wildbillbugman

wildbillbugman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hello to All,
    Because I ran out out of some chemicals that I use in my typical research, I started fooling around with what I had. I cecided to try one of my "cmyk color separations" on multipal layers of glass, but use only white pigment on each layer. Since I had no white watercolor pigment, I used White Out. The stuff used to correct typewriting errors. (Who still uses typewriters?!) The MSDS lists only TiO2 and 2 kinds of naphtha as the components. I added the White Out to the "Glass Subbing" that I have described on this Forum. It is ,basicly, PVA treated with amino- silane. Tot this I added a saturated solution of potasium dichromate. Coated onto clean glass, dried,exposed and developed in warm water.
    I have attached two images. They are both of the same 4 layered glass image. One is scaned as a transparency and is a positive image. The other is scaned as a reflective image and looks like the negatice of the other.
    BTW- The guy in the image is me. Ain't I cute. Ladies ?

Attached Files:

2. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I thought it was a picture of Charlie Manson.

3. smieglitz

smieglitz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you place the glass against a dark background does it reverse like an ambrotype?

4. wildbillbugman

wildbillbugman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    smieglitz,
    Unfotunately no. Transmited light is required for it to look like a positive. See attachement.

Bob,
    Charlie did have a very loyal "Harrem". "Evil" women loved that guy.

Attached Files:

5. DennyS

DennyS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd say "slightly weird" is quite an understatement. Way beyond creative. Way to go! (And I think I'll have whatever it is you're having...)

6. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm, ever think about alternating black and white layers? Be a super bas relief.

7. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bill, you look older than the last time I saw you. Well, so do I. Hmmmmmmm!!!!!

PE

8. wildbillbugman

wildbillbugman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Deny- Thanks. Working with chemicals all the time,for about 50,years, I don't realy know what I "have had" or "am having".
    Gary- There being 1/16 inch of glass between each layer, there is already alot of relief. It does not show with scans. As you can see from the scans, there is already "blacks" in the transmited light scan. I think that this is due to the fact that the transmited light is partialy blocked by the highlights in the glass negative.
    PE-That just means that it has been too long since we have seen each other.
    Bill

9. wildbillbugman

wildbillbugman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Deny-Thanks! Since I have been working with chemicals for about 50 years, I don't realy know what I " have had" or "am having"!
    Gary- since there is 1/16 inch of glass between each layer, there is already alot of relief. Looking at the transmited light image, you can see that there are already" blacks". It is due to the fact that the white pigment partialy blocks the transmited light.
    PE- That is only because we have not seen each other in a long time. Maybe we can remidy that soon.
    Bill

10. dwross

dwross Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bill,

Your sheer Edisonian inventiveness never ceases to amaze (and inspire.) Cool!

ps to others: In real life, Bill could be taken for Brad Pitt's older brother (albeit in one of Brad's scruffier renditions:D) except for Bill's turquoise eyes that you'd swear must have had the saturation cranked up!

11. wildbillbugman

wildbillbugman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sorry about the double post! I thought that I had accidentaly deleted the first. Chalk it up to late night whatever.
    Bill

12. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I am living in Istanbul and still have no harem yet. When I go the school 20 years ago , there was always a loyal guitar playing leftist harem waiting for me. I was like a shark in the pool :smile:

13. jorj

jorj Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Cool stuff, Bill. I've been doing multi-color seps on sheets of glass for a while now, but not with white-out :smile:

Does this mean you also do multi-color seps on multiple sheets, or was this multi-pane printing just for a lark?

14. wildbillbugman

wildbillbugman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    jorj,
    I have been doing Pt/Pd/Au/Pigments on glass for years now. My entire technical process is laid out in an artical tword the end of "proceses " in alternativephotography.com.

15. wildbillbugman

wildbillbugman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Jorj,
    Somehow, I keep posting my reply befor I am finished writing! Anyway, you can look up my artical and contact me with a personal message on APUG if you have questions. Or if you can't find the artical. I continue to do research and have replaced some of the materials in the artical with a more simple process. I do cmyk using watercolor pigments. And Pt/Pd/Au with or without the pigments. But never the pigments without the Pt/Pd/Au.