A Styling Camera bag

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by jd callow, Mar 14, 2008.

1. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking for a camera bag with style that will hold the average (FE2 or F100) body and a couple lenses. I'm not a big fan of bags that look like camera bags. I use a sling bag for my mamiya 6 a wheely cart for my 4x5 (or I just sling it over my shoulder) and would like something interesting for a Nikon and 2-3 primes (21, 35, 100 range). Pictures and links would be great.

For extra credit I'd love to know what your favourite strap is as well.

2. film_guy

film_guy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Try Think Tank's Urban Disguise bags.

Think Tank Urban Disguide

They are messenger-style bags, but look more like laptop bags compared to camera bags. Very discrete, quality-build, and stores a lot of equipment. I can store 3 pro SLRs, 3-4 lenses, a couple of flashes plus a laptop in mine.

For camera straps, I use the generic Canon straps. Wouldn't mind trying Upstrap though, after hearing good things about them.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2008
  3. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It depends on how much you want to spend John?

I like the Billingham travel range: http://www.billingham.co.uk/products.asp?catid=420

Barbour make a nice bag too: http://www.barbour.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.view&ProductID=11137&PCategoryID=16&RangeID=4

As does Annabel Chaffer: http://www.annabelchaffer.com/leather-and-canvas-travel-bags/

(the advantage of these bags is that they are expensive, as such any thief will probably steal the bag but throw the 'crappy old film camera' back at you!)

4. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might want to check out your local army surplus store.I used an old medic's shoulder bag until it was stolen,along with my friends Yashica.Good ,sturdy and real inexpensive.

JMK

5. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Billingham bags are expensive, but the price reflects a high quality product with great functionality, and mine seem to age with grace.

I can also recommend what I think is Hungarian army gas mask bags – once modified a bit they work great but may be hard to obtain in North America… Well, my point is that you may want to consider Mike’s advise.

6. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I plan on getting a Billingham, but am not sure which to buy. I am torn between the Hadley Large, the 225 or the Packington.

7. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John, if you want something that has style and is cool and is NOT the boring black-gray-green-khaki (where is the yawning icon???) you've GOT to check out Crumpler! :D
    I was yearning for something that was a little less totally boring, and someone I know truned me on to these. I bought a red "7-million dollar home" and I love it! I can fit 2 bodies and two lenses and film and filters & what-not in it. I love it, and I love that is it the other side of mundane. :wink:

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'll second the recommendation for Crumpler. They're messenger bags and knapsacks with optional photo inserts.

I use the Fux Deluxe (the largest one at the time, now replaced by some new version, but it looks pretty much the same) for my Linhof 4x5" kit.

9. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm......My medic bag cost $5.00 and went through heck & back without a problem.That "Crumbler" cost $130.00.

10. 23mjm

23mjm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    jd--your 35mm setup sounds a lot like mine. F100 &/or FE-2, 16mm, 24mm, 50mm, 75-150mm and flash. I use the little LowePro 100 Backpack. I can get all that stuff in it. The pack carries well and is very well padded. Sometimes I wish I had the 200 Backpack but I manage to fit all my crap in the small one. When I go out and shoot with my TLR I can put all that gear in the little 100 and it works well for that too. It has been a very well used pack.

11. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like a bag that's fast to work from while hung on the shoulder, and that doesn't require dragging the equipment past zippers or through a smaller opening. I like a top flap that closes securely, but folds back completely out of the way for continual quick access. My preferred bag for the size kit you mention is an old Tenba P-series that's no longer made, but the closest current equivalents I've seen would be the Domke F-802 or F-803, both body-hugging satchel style bags with plenty of storage.

My wife and son use Crumplers (discontinued models about 3 years old) that I find are slower to work from, largely because the openings seem undersized for the interior room, and they also seem bulky and a bit clumsy for the capacity relative to the bags I prefer. The Crumplers are nicely made and well padded. Newer models may have improved access. My son will borrow one of my Tenbas if he can when he's carrying one SLR and two or three lenses.

The Billingham Hadley bags also look like a style I'd prefer, but I haven't tried them. When I see Billingham bags, my first thought is that they likely contain lightly used Leicas, and would be worth stealing, but that's just my personal prejudice. :smile:

Lee

12. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council

Shooter:
    Large Format
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your personal prejudice is not that far of when it comes to my Hadley. It usually holds an M Leica and a Rollei TLR… However, I would not describe my equipment as lightly used, nor would I describe the bag as being in pristine condition – but it still looks good despite showing wear and tear.

16. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Billingham was good enough for Michael Palin on his various travels... :wink: I looked at Crumpler bags but found the style to be too 'studenty' for me.

17. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John,

I don't have anything original to add to the bag suggestion, but would like some extra credit. I have 3 favorite camera straps- Domke Gripper straps without swivels, UpStraps, and my new friend the Y Strap. The Domke can be wrapped around your hand to make sort of a wrist strap and also is pretty secure on the shoulder works great with a small lightweight camera. The UpStrap is very secure and I like it with heavier cameras such as my Mamiya 7. The Y Strap is different in that it is worn bandolier style and the camera slides on a large split ring making it very easy to get the camera to my eye and when I'm not shooting the camera hangs at my side unobtrusively. It's also nice to not have weight hanging from one shoulder-my posture is happier.

How many points do I get?

Richard Wasserman

18. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  19. lns

lns Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like a Timbuk2 messenger bag with a Domke insert or two. It doesn't scream camera bag, and you can customize size and colors. The only drawback is that it isn't padded, but you can stick some padding on the bottom (foam core or bubble wrap or even a towel).

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/home

I also like a Domke Gripper strap for lighter cameras. But for my Nikon F100 I use an Op/Tech strap, as it seems to handle the weight of the camera better.

-Laura

20. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Y-strap is basically the same arrangement used for the Leica CL and M5 cameras with side lugs. I've been wearing my CL and other rangefinders that way for 30 years. The Y-strap "inventor" is right about the way the camera hugs your torso, and the way the camera is much more discrete under your arm. My black CL with a 40 almost disappears into the crook of my elbow.

Lately I've been using a 12" nylon webbing dog collar for a hand strap on my rangefinders (the C/V Bessa trigger winder provides two lugs top and bottom on the same side like the M5 and CL), and then a small carabiner to hook that to a shoulder strap worn like the Y-strap.

If $30 seems a bit steep for a Y-strap and you're into DIY, you can buy the 1" tubular webbing from REI.com for US$12 for 30 feet and three of the buckle/slides for US$0.80.

Lee

21. rexp

rexp Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I have an Upstrap, and it does work quite well for what it is advertised for... which is to hang on your shoulder. However, I find it very uncomfortable to put around my neck. And while this isn't an everyday occurance for me, I do it often enough that I have switched back to the Domke Gripper straps. As a bonus, you can get them in a color other than black.

If you are interested in trying an Upstrap I would loan you mine for the cost of postage both ways.

22. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andy,
    I'd look like a sloan if I bought one of these.

23. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John, when did you ever see a sloan carrying their own bags? Besides if you got a Billingham you'd be well equipped for your next trip across the Persian Gulf in a dow.

24. tom_micklin

tom_micklin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John,
    I love my Billingham. It's a model 225. Should hold your gear without a problem.
    There are usually quite a few available on that famous auction site.
    I got it about 5 years ago just before I found out I needed cataract surgeries. At the time, my vision was almost non-existent, so I figured if I was going blind, I might as well have a nice camera bag to carry around.
    Never regretted spending the money (I actually got it fairly cheap - just over $100)

I use Gordy's camera straps - the wrist straps - and love them.
    Although, I just ordered a Y-strap. I think there will be times I'd like to use that as well. The concept looks great.

Regards,
    Tom

25. ghost1001

ghost1001 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Buy any bag you like...Jack Spade maybe if you are into mens understated style. Then just buy the camera bag inserts you need and velcro them together to make it a camera bag. I do this with all of my bags...one of which I made myself. I can use them in my moutainsmith hip pack, messanger bag, or samsonite backpack...I think Lowepro makes the inserts.

Kevin

26. evilhomer78

evilhomer78 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here is a link to my camera bag that I put together to haul my Bronica sqa around in.

http://cliechty.home.comcast.net/~cliechty/cambag/

I bought the bag from the Gap on clearance for $20.00 and the insert is a Tenba insert for their wedding car case.

In the bag I carry 1 Bronica sqa with wlf & 50mm lens attached, 80mm lens, 3 backs, Sekonic 558 meter, blower, cleaning cloth, up to 10-12 rolls of film, notepad, pens, mp3 player, magazines, etc.