A very Weston Day

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by jmdavis, Jun 5, 2007.

1. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Today is definitely a very Weston Day.

I'm finishing reading "California and the West," the new Brett Weston "New York Portfolio" arrived, I found and bought first edition copies of Cole Weston's "Eighteen Photographs," the "EW:100" essays, and Edward Weston's "Seventy Photographs."

I did pass on an f64 1978 show catalog. The photos were very good but $75 was too much for me.

Mike

2. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike, how do you like the New York Portfolio? I noticed that my account had the amount taken out so I will be getting it pretty soon. Is the "Seventy Photographs" book of value? I have been buying books lately and it's getting to be more expensive than photography so the book business must be surviving. I got a copy of Walker Evans and some Strand and Weston, both, Modotti etc. Iv'e got to break out and do some of my own. But what you can learn from these books is priceless isn't it?
    Curt

3. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    On the week-end I had time to kill waiting for people, so I cracked open the book of AA letters (to and from Edward Weston and the whole gang.) A good read.

Vaughn

4. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm just opening it right now. I wanted to see the Cole Weston because I had never seen his book before. Then I got distracted by the Charis Wilson essay in "EW:100."

Generally I get anything sent by Michael and Paula the next day even when it's UPS ground. So, depending on how far west you are, you should get it soon.

5. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thirty minutes or so just isn't enough to really "see" New York. I will have to spend more time with it and give my impressions tomorrow.

Mike

6. Merg Ross

Merg Ross Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    To complete your Weston Day you might consider getting the DVD," Eloquent Nude, The Love and Legacy of Edward Weston and Charis Wilson". I saw the San Francisco premiere of the film last week and give it high marks.

7. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    http://www.nwdocumentary.org/weston/preview.html

Is the film being shown available on DVD, usually the DVD comes later after a picture has been out and shown? Are the actors any good, do you think they look and have the feel of the original people? I watched the previews and they seem good. It not a mix of fact and fiction is it?

I will be looking for a delivery of the book soon. I live out west north of Seattle.

Curt

8. PhotoHistorian

PhotoHistorian Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

The DVD is already out. Here is the link where you can purchase it:
    http://www.filmbaby.com/films/1740

Walker

9. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    http://www.filmbaby.com/films/1740

I just found this, it answers one of the questions I was asking. That makes sense now. Thanks, Curt

It's a preorder for the August release.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2007
  10. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Agreed! I have been very interested in this since I heard about it. After your report last week I went to the website to see the previews. I also sent my friends in SF to the Victoria to see it.

As an aside, I'm in the final stages of "California and the West." I had put off reading this because of the description of the text by a number of reviewers as a travelogue. In my opinion, the narrative is anything but a "travelogue." It is good stuff. The description of coming across the body at Cardizo is as good as the actual photographs. The details of the imitation $100 bills, the milk coupons and the Mickey Mouse spoon add depth, as does the conversation with the Sheriff afterward. I am very glad that I am finally reading this book.

Mike Davis

11. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Didn't come today.:sad: Still waiting:surprised:

12. Merg Ross

Merg Ross Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Curt, sorry that I did not post a link to the Eloquent Nude DVD. I posted it on the LF forum last week; it was available at the screening in the SFMOMA bookshop.

To your question of the actors and the portayal of Edward and Charis, I can say that the film is an honest representation of events. It is primarily a blend of stills, narration, and and a bit of acting to give it life. The actors are not professionals, the chap who plays Edward is a photographer who bears a strong resemblance to him, and the young woman likewise to Charis.

Charis was present at the screening and gave the film high marks; she should be the best judge of its worth.

13. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Merg, the previews were enough for me so I will be getting the film when it comes out. I would have gone to see it if I could have, I bet that was a blast.
    Best,

Curt

14. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I finished "California and the West" a few minutes ago. It was not good bedtime reading though. Instead of leading to sleep, it led to thought and more thought.

Here are 70 year old photos and words that really do stand up to time. I've noticed that repeatedly with Weston's work. It has a quality that lasts. It both captures a moment and has the ability to transcend time. I like that. So much of photography that I see today, just seems like the "flavor of the month." How many "fifteen minutes of fame" does it take to equal seventy years? Twenty-four million, five hundred and forty-six thousand, six hundred and twenty-four.

So I talk about Weston, and watch the boredom of some of my younger photographer friends. They have been convinced that Modernism (and certainly technical mastery in general) is dead. It's been replaced with Mordencage and uneven wetplate. I admit that I fail to understand the point of view.

Edward Weston died six years before I was born. "California and the West" was published twenty-four years before I was born. As far as I'm concerned, it is as original and valuable now as it was then. Good art lasts, and its value exceeds the "flavor of the month."

Mike

15. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What's more interesting is to read about the photographers in his time frame. Exploring the period of the '30's for example is very interesting. You have many people developing their "styles" and exploring the world they lived in. Strand, Evans, Weston, Adams, Stieglitz, and the list is long. There are many many women also that don't make the "A" list.

Steichen, Stieglitz, and Strand is often given as the 20th Century's greatest photographers. It's the "A" tier of photographers. Edward Weston, Ansel Adams, Minor White and others are on the 2nd tier.

My favorites are Edward Weston, Paul Strand, HCB, Brett Weston, W.E. Smith, in no particular order.

16. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I agree it is very interesting stuff. I mentioned that I saw a 1978 f64 exhibit catalogue. It provided me with an opportunity to see the work of Sonya Noskowiak. I had previously seen something from the rest of the group. I was happy to see her work after reading about her over and over in the Daybooks.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2007
  17. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format