A visit to Killinthomas wood Rathangan Co Kildare. Sunday 21st April 2013

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by monosnaps, Feb 3, 2013.

1. monosnaps

monosnaps Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How about a film photographers visit to Killinthomas Wood in Rathangan Co Kildare. Sunday morning 21st April, its a good location a really beautiful and peaceful location. Good for general photography and around this time of year you have the Bluebells and some wild garlic so nice for some colour work. There is also some urban decay to be photographed in a building next door ( if its still there). Some details here http://iwtkildarebranch.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/killinthomas-woods/. We can check out Rathangan which is close by for a coffee shop and agree a time and meeting place in advance. Parking is free. Some images on Flicker http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=killinthomas&ss=2&s=int

2. seoirse

seoirse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That looks like a promising location, Eddie.

I'm in providing work schedule allows.

3. paulgallinule

paulgallinule Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks good Eddie, I'm in once I'm not working but looking good so far, I may pick up some Kodak Ektar for those bluebells.

4. martinhughesireland

martinhughesireland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Should be able to make it

5. thefizz

thefizz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sounds good, if I'm free I'll be there.

6. fran

fran Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do a lot of my trees from there, its a good location, lots of good stuff to shoot. Plenty of parking too....

The abandoned bord na mona camp is still there, often with unusual animals - llamas the last time I was there - but there are big signs up saying no entry etc. I think someone has it rented and as a result doesn't want every tom dick and harry in there.

There are a few pubs in Rathangan, which I'm sure do food, especially on a Sunday. The forest is a mix of large conifers and broad leaves, mainly ash with good runs of clear forest floor and brush. The whole site is laid out with paths with overhanging trees. I have done a good few portraits in there, lovely overhead soft light coming down. There are a couple of bluebell locations, and at least one or 2 with a mix of bluebells and wildgarlic (white). Tough to get the colour balance right though sometimes!!

Searcher can try and find his lost lee filters!!!!

Fran

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  7. Searcher

Searcher Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A good location Eddie, with a lot to offer as Fran says. I have only been once before, at the time of the wild garlic last year, and yes I believe I left a pouch of filters in the undergrowth! They were getting on a bit and needed to be replaced anyway - but I'd not be too surprised if they are still there...

Cheers

Gerry

8. fran

fran Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We'll have to have a prize for whoever finds the filter pack! Talk about needle +haystack!

9. Johnhig

Johnhig Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice and close to me so I'll probably be there.

10. Rafal Lukawiecki

Rafal Lukawiecki Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I might join you, if my jetlag isn't too bad—I return from US on 20th. It would be nice to see you guys, especially as I'm missing the print showing.

11. fran

fran Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I took a spin out by Killinthomas today to have a quick look. Bluebells are still quite a way off, at least 3 weeks I'd say. Given that most of us are shooting B&W anyway, it hardly matters, and there's lots of other stuff to shoot out there. In fact its one of the best woods around I think. Next door, there is the ruins of the old Bord na Mona workers camp - other good photo ops there. However, there are lots of signs up saying no entry etc etc. I've been in and out a few times with no issues.

I also had a bit of a look around the old Williams Waller mill in Rathangan but I can't see any easy way in there.....

I'll post maps etc a little closer. Paul, what was the pub you had the menu for? I'll add a link to that as well.

Fran

12. przemyslaw zorylo

przemyslaw zorylo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Me and Greg come , what time we meet, and where exactly ?

13. thefizz

thefizz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sounds like a good day out but unfortunately I don't think I'll make it.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. paulgallinule

paulgallinule Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm fine for next Sunday but it wasn't me with the menu, I can remember seeing someone with one but can't remember who it was.

16. monosnaps

monosnaps Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Vincent had the menu I'm sure he will drop by soon with details. Looking forward to a good mornings photogrphy.

17. Vincent Brady

Vincent Brady Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Guys the pub in question is 'The Burrow' Main Street Rathangan.

18. przemyslaw zorylo

przemyslaw zorylo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  19. Vincent Brady

Vincent Brady Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Guys I'm hoping Fran or Eddie give what time we should meet.

20. fran

fran Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Guys,

OK, so I've created a google map for Killinthomas:

Killinthomas woods, Rathangan

The placemarker gives the car park. Just beside the carpark you can see the abandoned workers camp. The turn down to the woods is a little blind when you are coming from Rathangan - its very easy to pass by the sign. So as you pass the graveyard, then soon after you see some green sheds on the left with 3 artic lorry trailers, then the turn is just after those sheds on your right.

Yard, green sheds and lorry trailers (NOTE: its not the turn right opposite these sheds, but just a few hundred yards further!

killinthomas 1.PNG

This is the turn - the sign is a bit hard to see:

killinthomas 2.PNG

And here is the car park:

killinthomas 3.PNG

Lastly, the Burrow pub is on the main street of Rathangan, near the middle of the village. How about if we meet up at 10am? That gives a good few hours to roam and do some shooting and then head back for a bit or grub?

The woods themselves are a mix of conifer and broadleaves, and if you wander just a little off the main trails you can be in the middle of plantations of ash and birch and so on. Interspersed here and there are some fine big oaks standing in the middle of other trees. There is also a good amount of half rotten fallen timber that can make good material. The main pathways are all gravelled and there tends to be very little mud, so runners/walking shoes/boots should be fine. Any questions fire ahead.....

Fran

21. paulgallinule

paulgallinule Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for that Fran, looks good, weather at the weekend will be a mixed bag but could be worse, see you all there at 10am

22. monosnaps

monosnaps Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    10:00 is perfect, if its a good morning I will try make it earlier, looking at forecast this evening it looks ok but with strong winds we are getting it could change, now the hard decision what camera and film to bring, have worked in colour and Pinhole before so maybe shoot some mono this time. :confused:

23. Vincent Brady

Vincent Brady Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Like Eddie I'm wondering what camera and film I should bring with me. I'm thinking that I might even shoot colour film for the first time in years.

24. fran

fran Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah sure I'll give you a lend of a digital camera Vincent! :smile:

25. Rafal Lukawiecki

Rafal Lukawiecki Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Everyone, I'm very jetlagged, having just landed, but if this wears off I'll join you tomorrow. I might get my husband to drive me there as be may want to visit his folks in Offaly.

26. fran

fran Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great stuff Rafal,

If you need a lift back anywhere we can sort that out.

FFran