A Week in New Mexico. Itinerary?

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by haziz, Dec 13, 2008.

1. haziz

haziz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am heading to New Mexico next week and will stay for a week. Will be flying in and out of Albuquerque. Main purpose is photography (Landscapes and to a lesser extent culture) and to a lesser extent birding (No interest in bird photography). What do you suggest for an itinerary?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.

2. pesphoto

pesphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  3. ArtO

ArtO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Downtown Santa Fe is a fascinating place that's loaded with cultural and architectural photo opportunities. Great spot for street photography too.

4. JOSarff

JOSarff Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hanny:

There are so many landscape shots in NM. If your coming north toward Santa Fe, there is a place called Tent Rocks (used to be Teepee Rocks, but now PC), The Valles Caldera (extint volcano), Soda Dam (a travertine (marble) dam made by deposits of a hot spring), San Jose de Garcia Church in Las Trampas, NM, and many more.

Then If your going south from ABQ, City of Rocks State Park between Deming and Silver City is wild. Rock outcropings just pushing out of the ground in the middle of a flat plain. At exit 63 on I25 the road leads you through a pass to Silver city with some stunning views and corkscrew roads.

Hoep this helps

Joe

5. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't forget White Sands

6. cloudhands

cloudhands Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you head west out of albuquerque on i-40 and then hang a right on "paseo de volcan" you can check out the volcanoes. They're pretty neat and not much of a drive.

There is also the "glass graveyard," an old dump from the early 1900s that was repeatedly burned so all that's left is old glass. It's beautiful at night (with a moon). Send me a PM and I will give you directions.

7. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been to the glass graveyard during the day. Not so nice.

Don't forget four corners and ship rock. The Taos Gorge. The town of Abiquiu and Ghost Ranch.

You can try to find the "famous spot" in Hernandez.

8. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been to the church in Hernandez that Adams photographed. I photographed it from the front (Adams shot it from the back)

[​IMG]

I lived in Santa Fe for a couple of years and went for the spots off the tourist track. Check out the old mining town of Cerrillos, lots of neat old buildings.

[​IMG]

If you go there, say hi to Mary Mora. She's 92 years old and has owned the bar in Cerrillos since the 1940s.

[​IMG]