AA; Abbott, Bourke-White and Evans

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by David Brown, May 14, 2010.

1. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Two upcoming shows at the Amon Carter in Ft. Worth:

May 29, 2010–November 7, 2010
    Ansel Adams: Eloquent Light

This exhibition of forty landmark and lesser-known works by the renowned artist-photographer is drawn from the Carter’s holdings and a private collection.

October 2, 2010–January 2, 2011
    American Modern: Abbott, Evans, Bourke-White

This special exhibition demonstrates how documentary photography transformed modern art in America through an examination of the work of photographers Berenice Abbott, Margaret Bourke-White, and Walker Evans.

http://www.cartermuseum.org/

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2010
  2. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Although I'm not a big fan of Bernice Abbott's work, Margaret Bourke- White, and Walker Evans have been some of my idols since boyhood and I would love to attend but about four thousand miles is just too far to travel.

3. jglass

jglass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    both shows sound worth seeing, esp. the latter for me. Thanks for the heads up!

4. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Saw all of this on Friday. The AA is still up until Nov 7. Some of the usual suspects, plus some lesser known images. so worth seeing.

Masterworks: A little of everything, including some 19th Century stuff. Small show, but recommended.

B-W, Evans and Abbott: Large show. Curated from the standpoint of documentary work, with the emphasis on the 1930s. Still, the prints were for the most part excellent. Many Bourke-White industrial shots - all superb. (I'm a fan) A good bit of Abbott's New York stuff and plenty of depression era social commentary by all three.

If you are in North Texas - go see this.