Abandoned things in the SF Bay Area?

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by landsknechte, Oct 27, 2006.

1. landsknechte

landsknechte Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wondering if anyone had any recommendations of especially interesting industrial ruins or abandoned buildings to explore and photograph in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've found a couple of abandoned farmhouses on Highway One, poked around in the Dogpatch area of SF, but I know that has got to be more out there.

-C

2. galyons

galyons Member

If you are interested in "abandoned" industrial, Mare Isaland Naval Base is interesting. It is near Vallejo on the northeast bay.

Cheers,
    Geary

3. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's the ruins of the Sutro Baths out at the end of Geary Boulevard. Get there at 7:30 to shoot it in the fog and mist, then come back around 10 AM to get it in bright sun.

4. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Marin headlands.

5. bart Nadeau

bart Nadeau Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Former Alameda Naval Air Station at west end of Alameda. Also remianing Naval facilities on Treasure Island.

6. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The old Knight Foundry ironworks in Sutter Creek is also interesting, although not entirely abandoned. It's about a good two hour drive from SF, so the there-and-back-again makes it a day trip, but the gold rush country is a great drive.

7. jss

jss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    abandoned places in bay area

i went exploring one night in alviso. there are a few abandoned buildings, including an old boat yard if i recall correctly. there's not much there, though. i've also seen some great (but small) spots in san francisco near hunter's point. i think it may come down to just driving around and writing down locations.. then coming back with a camera and a buddy for safety.

-jason

8. RGyori

RGyori Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Alas, the number of abandoned structures has been greatly reduced in the last few years, particularly in San Francisco. Being an architect I see this as a good sign but I do treasure the the aesthetic richness one finds in such places. Try Fort Point (under the south tower of the Golden Gate Bridge), while not technically abandoned it offers great visual possibilities. There are still a scattering of abandoned structures in the Presidio but are fast disappearing. A trip to the Delta should include the town of Locke with its crazily leaning dilapidated wood structures.

Bob

9. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Point Richmond, Black Diamond Mines, Delta area, downtown Pittsburg (take a guard with you), The wildlife reserve at the east side of the Dumbarton Bridge, The old abandonded dairy at the south end of the main hwy going into Napa the town. Many more just give me time to think, I've been on the road most the day and I'm too tired to think.

10. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm

Where about is the ironworks located?

11. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is in downtown Sutter Creek, on a side-street off the main drag. There is signage on the main street for where to turn, but it isn't terribly obvious. I had to pull past it and turn around and come back to make the turn. The building itself is interesting, and there are some bits and pieces sitting outside across the street from it that belonged to the old hydroelectric generating system they had to run the foundry. Some day when they've raised some more money, the foundry will re-open as a living museum.

12. landsknechte

landsknechte Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the help guys!