Abused cameras?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Markok765, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I like enjoy using and abusing my Nikon F5, every scratch and wear makes it look that much better. What about you guys?

2. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Completely agree--I like scratching and abusing your F5 too. :smile:

3. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I abuse my gear because I love my gear. No, really.

4. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I hesitate to buy mint condition gear because I'm afraid of getting scratches on it. If a camera is already scratched then I don't worry. I don't beat on my gear, but I don't handle it with white gloves either.

5. J Rollinger

J Rollinger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would like to kick your F5 a few times!

6. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey-Send me your F-5 so I can abuse it for awhile.
    BTW --- its my birthday--any body wishing to send me gifts, I'd really, REALLY like ya know-cameras(of any ilk) FILM(35, 120) Forte PolyWARMTONE(any size) I'd really like a Mamiya C-330
    thanks--

7. J Rollinger

J Rollinger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Happy birthday to you!

8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you---its official--I'm now one day older than dirt!!(well, at least thats what my kids all think)
    Rick

9. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just don't hesitate to put it into situations where it might be abused.

Happy birthday Rick!

10. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I don't baby my gear, although I don't beat it either. I don't understand why photographers beat the hell out of their equipment. At work, they're constantly sending in gear for repair because it's mistreated, dropped and otherwise not taken care of properly.

However, it's your gear and you're free to do with it as you choose. I just don't want to be the person who ends up buying your "gently used" camera. I've serviced enough of those, and some can never be restored to usable condition.

11. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I handle my equipment carefully, and tend to buy excellent or near-mint condition gear. I think old cameras have character, but I am not a collector in the true sense of the term--perhaps I am a "user" with a "collector" tendency.

I, too, do not understand why or how folks abuse or mistreat their cameras. Being careful is not that challenging, at least for me. I would not want to purchase a piece of equipment that has been dropped or banged around.

Contemporary cameras are so ugly that all of us film fans should baby our cameras. I suppose I could buy a digital camera, but, aside from the fact that I believe film to be superior, those plastic blobs called DSLRs lack design aesthetics.

12. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My Nikon F5 looks digital! But it is made of metal.

13. geauxpez

geauxpez Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While most of my camera bodies are in excellent+ condition, I recently purchased a somewhat beat up Pentax LX with good mechanics and sent it for CLA. Why? Decent price point and a "theft resistant" finish. I may rough up the leatherette as it looks too new.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks--now wheres my present LOL
    Keep shooting!!!!!

16. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    My cameras are my friends. I neither abuse them, but nor do I protect them from experiencing life. They are aging slowly and gracefully.

17. McFortner

McFortner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't thrown them down or treat them rough, but I don't baby them either. I don't put them up in dust proof cases and just look at them. Cameras are meant to be used. A little wear is OK, but if I abuse them too much then they don't take good pictures.

Now, I do have a few "junk store" cameras that I'm not too careful with. One was converted into a pinhole camera, and the others are great for when I just want a few quick snaps. Now my digital cameras are a different story. Those stinking LCDs are too fragile and too expensive to replace (I just got through replacing them on two cameras) not to take care of.

So I guess it all depends.

Michael

18. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Michael, you just need cameras that you can abuse a lot, and still have them take good pictures :tongue:

19. spark

spark Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My Rolleiflex is very ugly and shoots very well.

20. gerryyaum

gerryyaum Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    there machines, tools like typewriters or paint brushes, it always bothers me when cameras look to mint, it is like they are not being used and are show pieces, a few scratches and scrapes is good for a camera, it shows it's loved!

21. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like Jason says, my cameras are my friends. They get used a lot, but never abused. They have a few dings and scratches, mostly from previous owners. My 1929 speed graphic looks like it was made 90 years ago and performs flawlessly.

Rick.

22. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    My thoughts exactly.

23. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only camera that I have that shows signs of wear is my black FM2. The others look like they were made yesterday, even the Leica iii.

24. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Abuse refers to the use or treatment of something (a person, item, substance, concept, or vocabulary) that is harmful."

No I don't harm/abuse my cameras and I don't put them at risk either. Putting my cameras at risk means putting myself at risk and as an amateur I don't find its worth it. I use my cameras and take care of them cause any camera even F5 or leica will eventually give up on you if you mistreat it. That said I don't worry about scratches on my cameras they are unavoidable in time.
    Best regards

25. denmark.yuzon

denmark.yuzon Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When i got my first camera, it was so mint, i couldnt even use it.. but over time, it got scratches on it, few paint losses here and there.. and it never looked more beautiful than it is now.. though, i wish it was still mint, scratchless and still covered in black paint.. but, it is inevitable.. and somehow, the signs of wear grew on me... it kinda looks like it has a soul... like it was given life for the first time.. if it was man.. id say its age is around late 20's or early 30's... and thats a good age.. and it just keeps getting better and better...

but i dont abuse it.. i still take care of it.. as it gives me the greatest photos of my life..

26. nicefor88

nicefor88 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Some of you guys are just weird, you shoud see a doctor you know :D
    Why would you do something like that, you ugly camera abusers:wink: