accessories for de vere enlargers

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by raizans, Feb 14, 2010.

1. raizans

raizans Member

i just bought a de vere 504 dichromat on the auction site, but it doesn't have any negative carriers or lens boards. the only source i've found is odyssey, which has some stuff that comes with the enlargers, but nothing on its own. their prices are also rather high.

all i need are two negative carriers and two lens boards for 4x5 and 6x9. where am i going to get them?

2. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's usually plenty on Ebay. Ive bought lens boards quite cheaply.

Ian

4. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, eBay often had a good turnover of Devere bits and pieces whenever I was looking for them. Unsurprisingly the bits are mostly in the UK, although I found an unused neg carrier in Canada a few years ago.

Ian

5. rmann

rmann Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There are two lensboards on Ebay now -

6. Jim Taylor

Jim Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As others have said, there's a reasonable turnover of De Vere stuff on ebay. I agree that Odyssey are nearly always more expensive, but they have always had the items that I wanted, when I wanted them, not when someone else decided they wanted rid of them :wink: :D

As a guide, in Nov '09 I bought the following from Odyssey:
    Recessed lens panel for 40mm (and wider) lenses - £35
    35mm neg mask - £25.

Just as an aside, I found out when talking to John(??) at Odyssey that there are two recessed lens panels - the 'slightly recessed' one, which seems to be for lenses >=50mm.
    The other one is the sunken lens panel, for lenses <40mm.

Hope this helps! :smile:

7. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  8. raizans

raizans Member

9. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I picked up a 6x4.5 neg carrier from Second Hand Darkroom, a lens mounted on a lens board at a Sydney auction, seek and you may find.

The UK is probably the happiest hunting ground, but De Vere seem to have been fairly common in a number of ex UK Colonies (that is the ones which didn't have a tea party)

Good luck - Ross

10. Jim Taylor

Jim Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Raizans, I'm not sure whether that neg carrier you have linked to is correct. It's NOT the right one for my 504 (Dichromat IV head). See attached images of the neg carrier for mine.

The attached images are very, very low res, but hopefully they'll give you some idea for comparison.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2010
  11. raizans

raizans Member

thanks for the photos, jim!

oh, one more thing: what are the different versions of the 504? how do you tell them apart?

12. Jim Taylor

Jim Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're welcome!

From what I understand, some of the De Vere enlargers get their number from the maximum film size they will take - hence on the 504, the max film size is 5"x4" sheet film. Apart from that, the different versions of the enlarger itself are the bench model (which I have), the floor standing model (with drop-bench for bigger enlargements) and the wall-mounted model.

The real differences come with respect to the head that is fitted to the enlarger. There are a number of condenser, diffusion and cold-cathode heads available; so... when people quote their particular setup, it's usually something like: De Vere 504 Dichromat IV - meaning any of the particular variants of the 504 bench/floor/wall models complete with the Dichromat Mk IV head.

Check out this link from khbphotografix - it should give you some idea of the products that are still available, and those which are now discontinued.

Hope this helps. :smile: