Acrophobia.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Mike Kennedy, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anyone else suffer from fear of heights? What a cruddy malady to plague a photographer.
    So many lost shots when vertigo sets in and I'm about to be pitched into the void.Dang!!

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not usually, but I do have stage fright.

Jeff

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I quite like heights myself but a someone at work who doesn't once said "I don't mind heights so long as I am at the bottom of them".

.... and I never get stage fright!

Steve.

4. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am not afraid of heights as long as I have something to hold onto; a guard rail, handhold, anything. But if I have to go up on a roof or other unprotected area, I cannot walk to the edge. I have no problem inside airplanes.

5. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm quite lucky, as I have no phobias. Since I was a kid, someone has had to restrain me. Plus I love the stage. :smile:

Regards, Art.

6. cdholden

cdholden Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Acrophobia should not to be confused with Acrosphobia: the fear of Fuji b/w film.

7. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sadly, yes :-(. Although I'd refine my phobia slightly to be 'fear of falling' rather than fear of heights as such - I could be 5,000 feet up on a cliff edge and I'd be fine if there was a railing at waist height. (Hell, I used to fly gliders and never had a problem.)

I think my worst episode to date was on a walking trip in Iceland with RB67 over shoulder. Came up to a horrifically narrow ledge going around a corner with about a 600 foot drop into the bottom of the valley. On the outward trip I coped because I couldn't actually see around the corner how far I had to go - on the way back though I knew exactly how far it was going to take me and wound up having a full blown panic attack, with me on the ground clinging onto the Earth for dear life.

To add insult to injury, I later saw a bunch of kids on a pony treck succesfully navigating the same ledge on horseback. Sigh. :sad:

8. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I also have the dreaded fear of falling and heights. These may have come naturally and then been reinforced by a couple of falls. One was with a large car battery while going up a ladder to a boat in storage. The boat whose bottom I had just painted was now less stable than before. As I climbed aboard, the boat shifted, and battery and I were thrown. The battery survived the fall, but I was knocked out and woke up as they were loading me in into an ambulance.

One thing that has helped, and came as a surprise to Peter Spangenberg, is that I carry an assortment of old dock lines in the car. When wishing to photograph a waterfall while looking down from a cliff edge, Peter was quite surprised when I returned from the car with a heavy line for me and another for the camera. Once we were tied off to a tree I felt much better about the situation. The panoramic scene filled the 7x17 frame and was dramatic. My shorts however were not filled. My body, brain and camera survived the event unscathed. Once I knew I could not fall beyond the length of the tether I was okay. Try it near a very short drop to see if it works for you. If it works there, increase the drop distance, until you know what the limits are for you. Be sure that you know how to tie good sailor knots.

John Powers

9. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I hate heights too. Recently, a group of us were on the roof of a 20 story building. They were dangling over the edge, shooting and such - I couldn't even watch them and had to leave.

John, do you suppose the rope trick would work for helicopters as well? I don't know how I would carry those miles of rope though!

10. Jerry Basierbe

Jerry Basierbe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. I have a problem standing close to the edge of a building or cliff, but oddly enough I can sit in an airplane 30,000 feet in the air and look out the window no problem.

Jerry

11. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    First you need a very large sky hook that will travel above the helicopter. Then you need to figure out how to pass the rope around the cutting blades of the chopper. After that rope storage is a piece of cake.

JP

12. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe it's not a phobia, but a sign of intelligence? After all,not falling over precipices does allow one to pass their genes on to the next generation. This is what it's all about after all, isn't it?

Richard Wasserman

13. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I don't think so. More of flying, which a lot of times keeps me from getting good out the window shots :sad:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. rmolson

rmolson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use to shoot pictures hanging out of the side of aircraft. Now in my old age I freaked out riding my bike across a bridge when I realized I was sitting higher than the guard rail .Needless to say now I walk across bridges if I am shooting anything.

16. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To get the right photo of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, an acrophoboc friend had to climb up on a railing and lean over the chasm. She was able to get the shot when I held her by the legs and said, "I won't let you fall. That's my camera you're using."

17. naeroscatu

naeroscatu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In my childhood I took swimming lessons so one day the coach asked the kids to jump from the platform. The pool had 1m, 3m, 5m and 10m high platforms. I could not pass the 3m for anything in the world. I had to back-up from the 5m and 10m because I could not even look down; kids laughed I felt bad but life goes on. I hike, went to over 2000m in the mountains but I do not get close to cliffs. I also have a problem when spinning as in going into rides at Wonderland and this kind of activities; It is not fear but rather sickness. I almost faint couple of times in the past so I stay away. Are these phobias connected (at the brain level...)?

18. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Not normally a problem here...but for a short time period (a couple years or so) I could not walk on a log over any great height. It was not fear...it was something tied to the visual imput, my inner ear and my brain. I would lose all sense of balance.

I am not very clausicphobic(sp)...I can hang out in elevators, caves and deep into lava tubes, etc -- but the even the idea of being in a very narrow space where I can not turn around starts a panic response. I can even pinpoint the experience as a young boy that probably was the trigger for this phobia -- but the mind is a strange beast. Now, if one of my boys was stuck in a cave and I had to crawl through a narrow place to rescue him, I wonder if my parentual instincts would over power the phobia. Hope I don't have to give it that test!

Vaughn

19. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  20. dbonamo

dbonamo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Same here, I used to climb radio towers a few hundred feet and have flown a small helo Robinson r22 with no fear, however put me 10-20 feet on a roof my palms sweat.

21. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I start shaking when I go near a steep long drop. Even when I look up on a very tall building I can get jittery and start losing my balance. It's not a fear as I'm not afraid. I just start losing my balance.
    - Thomas

22. Ken22485

Ken22485 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I, too, have the fear of heights, or rather, the fear of falling. Like others here, I won't get near the edge of any precipice.

Airplanes don't bother me, though, for some reason. A few years ago, I took an acrobatic ride in an open cockpit biplane - complete with loops, rolls, etc., and the only thing holding me in the biplane when it was inverted were the shoulder straps. As they were strapping a parachute on me, they gave me thorough instructions... "If the pilot yells 'GET OUT,' jump and pull this..." :surprised:

Here's a video of the acrobatic ride. I didn't shoot the video, but it's the same plane and the same pilot.

23. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I used to be afraid of some things, but now I just don't care enough to get worked up over much at all.

24. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have no fear of heights or falling... its the sudden stop at the bottom that terrifies me.

25. haris

haris Guest

Same here.

26. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It seems to be pretty common here to not like falling. I'm the same. I can't go near big drops without a railing or rope. Yet I like to rock climb (with belay, etc..).