Acros + Formulary TFX-2 Test

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by MaximusM3, Mar 21, 2011.

1. MaximusM3

MaximusM3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I haven't been able to print much lately so I have spent some time testing a film+developer combo to suit certain scenarios and for when I want to fully exploit resolving power of some of the newer Leica glass. The way to go would normally be to shoot slow film but I am looking to be able to enjoy fine grain (when and if needed), great acutance, micro-contrast, and pleasing tonalities, without sacrificing speed and being able to shoot hand-held in most situations. Sort of sounds like the Holy Grail. I love Acros and I am looking for stand/semi stand process to to get some edge effects, nice sparkling highlights and a nice, long scale negative that can print itself.

This is a bit of a work in progress, but at least here are some example for those who are interested, since there isn't a lot of data out there for this. As always, by no means interpret this as undisputed gospel or a source of endless arguments, because it isn't. This is what I (myself) have gotten and I certainly encourage anyone to test on their own and exploit new possibilities.

I'm not big on tests using strips and the likes, so I'm basically blowing a bunch of rolls, taking pictures and going with the flow, while still having some fun.

Acros @ ISO160, Leica M3, 135mm Tele Elmar - all metered with a Gossen Digisix Pro incident meter and a 021 filter on the lens.

PF TFX-2 - 20ml solution A + 25ml solution B in 500ml stainless reel/tank @ 68 degrees. 40 minutes, with 4 inversions in 5 seconds at the start and 2 inversions every 8 minutes. These were high contrast scenes, with harsh midday lighting and I will test with lower dilutions and/shorter times as well.

So far, one test with dilution of 15+15ml in 500ml, for one hour and 2 inversions every 10 minutes, resulted in some uneven development so, contrary to what the Formulary says, I have my reservations that TFX2 can perform better than Rodinal in a highly diluted mix, even semi-stand.

What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For many years Leica toured about demonstrating their lenses. Their developer of choice was Ethol TEC which is still available by the way.

3. MaximusM3

MaximusM3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks, Gerald. I think it is now made in a single solution but have not tried it. From what I have heard though, its shelf life is extremely short, as it has to be refrigerated and apparently it goes south fairly quickly.

4. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That's true about Ethol TEC -- I bought a bottle from Freestyle a couple of years ago and has essentially expired by the time I got it.

Of course, I had the same thing happen with a bottle of DDX.

5. MaximusM3

MaximusM3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I guess it works in a high volume (school/demonstrations, etc) environments but for us mere mortals it's probably not worth the trouble. DDX is not quite as bad but I also don't use it often enough to justify buying it. At the end of the day, that's why Rodinal and HC110 still rule. I do like glycin based developers for certain applications though and TFX-2 seems to have good shelf life and it certainly performs well.

6. garacha

garacha Member

This is an old thread, but I'll respond for anybody coming across this message...
    I believe it is in error to dilute developer without at least a minimal amount of concentrate to handle the quantity of film being developed. I believe this is standard. So, if 15+15ml in 500ml is the ratio you wanted to experiment with, I think you'd be better served using the same ratio, but with more volume.
    For example,develop that same roll of film using 30+30ml in 1000ml, and use a larger developing tank. you can use empty reels as spacers within the tank. This would provide the same weak dilution your desire, yet still have the minimal amount of concentrate-per-square-inch-of-film to handle the job.

I, too, am about to experiment with TFX-2, PMK, PRESCYSOL EF, and Microphen. (I'm abandoning XTOL now that it is a discontinued product)
    I'll be playing with dilutions, and with varying agitation schemes.

good luck in your endeavors

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2012
  7. albada

albada Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF