Acufine (Some interesting results)

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by michael9793, Aug 8, 2011.

1. michael9793

michael9793 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Since my supply of Micro-X is getting very limited. I thought I would try some other developers that are on the market. One that caught my eye was Acufine. It says Ultra-fine grain and maximum acutance. So I tried it just as they say on the label. very gentle agitation and half as much.Will, the first couple batches were outstanding. I scanned the negative and blew it way up to check the grain and it was very good. My tones came out perfect for me. I use Tri-x and bumped it up to 1600 asa as you can see from my 6x17 images on the gallery they came out good. One of the reasons I shot at 1600 is with Florida water, the coldest it gets in the summer is 74-75 degrees. If I did 400 asa my developing times would be 2-4 mins and I just feel that is too short a time on any film. I would love to try some 100 asa films and see where that gets me. APX 100 at 200 asa is 5.5 mins and that may be usable.
    NOW I STARTED HAVING GRAIN PROBLEMS ON A COUPLE OF ROLLS A WHILE BACK. What I found out was I has giving it my normal agitation and the grain just jumps out. So I went back to my almost not agitating sequence and the grain again become very fine. So If you want to use this film agitation is a bad word and just moving it enough to get new developer on the film is all you need to do. I hope this helps someone out there I just thought i would share this info with you.:D:whistling::wink:

2. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At one time, the manufacturer of Acufine published a pamphlet on how to develop film in particular with Acufine. Agitation was discussed in detail. As the OP has pointed out it is best to follow the manufacturers directions carefully.

3. pgomena

pgomena Member

Yep. Gentle, easy, soft, slow agitation with Acufine.

Peter Gomena