Acute episode of G.A.S.

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by DeanC, May 2, 2006.

1. DeanC

DeanC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's a Mamiya 645 Super, AE finder, 80mm N lens and a 120 back somewhere in the bowels of the USPS, on it's way to me this night... The seller is happy, Paypal is happy, I'm eager and my bank account is an astonishingly small amount lighter. Now I wonder if I've got a 645 holder for the D5 lying around somwhere?

Dean

2. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, con gratulations with your new halfframe camera :smile:
    Let's see some pics from it soon.
    Cheers,Søren

3. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Maybe in California having gas is cute but here in smog free Wsconsin it is best taken care of in private.

4. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    G.A.S. is a very serious condition and one that I've struggled with most of my photographic 'career'. There's a complete 'Blad 500cm for sale at £395 notes at Abbey Photographic in Blackpool and, and erm...... drooool!!!!!

5. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me, too. The other day I told my wife I had decided to buy camera A, but before I did, I had to sell camera B. My dear, sweet spouse told me that I could get A without selling B. Among health care professionals dealing with addiction, she is known as an "enabler". :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2006
  6. DeanC

DeanC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Funny, my wife said something like: "Sweetie, I don't care how many cameras you buy, I just wish you'd occasionally get rid of some of the stuff you don't use anymore." I think she's just worried we'll wind up on some daytime talk show with a film crew documenting the one path through all the piles of unused cameras, computers, bicycles, etc...

7. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lucky you
    My beloved don't say anything when I bring something "new" home but if looks could kill............ :smile:
    Cheers Søren

8. mysuzuki2

mysuzuki2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm single - I can do whatever I want! Of course, snuggling up at night with a Mamiya 1000s leaves a bit to be desired.

9. mark

mark Member

Mine too. You should have seen the look after the 8x10 showed up.

10. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dean, if GAS is a big concern, there's a lady that does consignments on eBay. So, your cure would be Elke sells'er. :wink:

11. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My sympathy to you :smile: (Oh... how I remember those glorious days of being single!) My wife lets me buy anything photographic that I want... as long as it's film or processing. Every now and then I sneak in a small piece of hardware, but a new camera is quite out of the question.

12. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I snuck a new camera by the ex once by saying I got a new body - he didn't realize (then) that the body and lens are 2 parts of the whole. But then he became an enabler. Sorta.

13. DeanC

DeanC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Super showed up on my doorstep last night and I couldn't be happier. It's in great shape and the seller threw in a new battery, 4 rolls of film and a .pdf of the manual on a CD. Now I just need the weekend to get here so I'll have a chance to shoot with it outside a bit.

14. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The important thing is to have so many cameras that no one, other than you of course, can tell when you acquire another one.

15. DeanC

DeanC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm currently at 7. 3 35mm Nikons, the 645 Super, a C330, my 8x10 and a Canon G1 digital. I think I've got a little ways to go before it's impossible to tell that a new one's shown up. I do have my eye on an R2A though, or maybe an SQ series Bronica...

16. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The SQ series Bronica I can understand, but 35mm ?? Well that is, I have a FM with an AIS 50mm f/1.8 coming in soon. Other than that I 'm looking at MF gear only. Ahh ok RF's are something different :smile:
    I think I have reached the limit though since I have nowhere to "hide" the stuff I save from orphanage.
    My camerabag is to small and its hard to argue for a bigger one for two nikons and four lenses :wink:
    The 45mm f/4.0 is the latest but I "need" some tele (165mm f/2.8 and the 90mm for my Pentax 6X7. Any suggestions on the tele issue ? :smile:
    Cheers, Søren

17. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have made a tactical error - just one camera bag.

You need to have several special purpose camera bags. That way, you can hide more cameras. :D

Lets see, a small bag in the car, either for a 35mm Olympus and three lenses, or the larger 35mm bag, with three bodiesand a number of lenses and flashes, or the other small bag, with a 645, a back, a finder and a 70 mm lens, or the medium size soft bag, for the 645 Pro, a couple of lenses, and a couple of backs, plus meter, or the semi-hard case with the C330 or C220 and three lenses, or the large soft padded case with all the Metz 60 CT1 and CT2 stuff, or the soft Olympus bag, currently holding the new (to me) Koni-Omega, which needs its own bag, etc., etc. ...

Clearly, I don't have a problem.

Matt

18. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Absolutely brilliant.

19. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Darned, I knew it, stupid me. Ok how do I get around that one ?
    I need more camerabags that I will need to fill. :D
    Cheers, Søren