adding to the hasselblad system....

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by JessicaDittmer, Feb 16, 2011.

1. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was fortunate to inherit my step-grandpa's hasselblad system years ago (he passed in 1988) and it was probably almost new then...it's the 500cm with various extension things, waist level finder, prism, a12 backs and three lenses (the 80 2.8, 50 4. and the 150 4 - all carl zeiss cf t* with uv filters,etc.) I LOVE this camera, it is truly my favorite of all mine and I have MANY cameras...so, I'm wanting to add to my system by means of something I can shoot with studio strobes - I'm coming back to film from digital for clients and am looking at the 553 ELX. I have the Hasselblad Manual book by Wildi that grandpa had too which is wonderful...I've been reading online and think this is a good choice for a body to add. Any comments are welcome. I am deciding this with the idea I will give up several other cameras and focus more on the one system (something new for me because even digital I was a nikon and canon shooter).... I'm a camera freak. I admit it.:D I shoot alien bees for strobes and have a 4x6 softbox and also other softboxes and lights but I tend to lean toward a feathered large main light to mimic a large window and look natural. I use natural light with the 500cm. Thoughts? Accusations of insanity? All welcome!:blink:

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now that you have a good start, got to KEH.com and start buying BEFORE the GAS strikes! I have those three lenses now add the CF 250mm f5.6 and the 903 SWC to your herd.

Your grandfather was obviously a very wise man.

Enjoy.

Steve

3. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm on KEH already scoping out the goods LOL! I'll look up the 903 SWC, that's a new one to me...

4. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ack I looked that up...what'cha tryin' to do to me? LOL!!!!!!

5. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You can shoot studio strobes with you cm.

6. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought so but I'm not sure the attachments I need...I'd welcome that info. I've been trying to find out what I need and it seems I had bought something with that in mind a few years back but darned if I can find it....

so, reading up yet again....a wireless trigger would be ideal so it's like when I shoot digital and looks like the lens has the sync connector..I have the lenses with the CXM on them T*. I'm wondering which to get for wireless. I shoot alien bees.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
  7. guyjr

guyjr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I haven't fired my AlienBees with my 501CM, but I have had success with my Mamiya RZ67-II. I use the CyberSync Receiver / Transmitter, and a plug that has an end that fits the flash sync on the lens (I think it's just a standard pc-sync, and is the same on both Mamiya & Hassy V-series lenses), and another end that plugs directly into the little plug hole on the CyberSync Transmitter. You can attach the Transmitter anywhere (i.e. any cold shoe) since it is battery powered internally. Then just load up some film, dial in the aperture, and shoot away!

In addition to the above, I also generally use a Sekonic L-358 light meter to set the lights - the same cable as above will work with that to fire the strobes. Or, if I really want to be sure I get the right exposure before working with the film camera, I'll use a 5DM2 to meter (I know, it's cheating, right!?), but then at least I know for sure I'm in the right range when I start playing with the film.

Post back if you need help finding the cable - I can't recall offhand exactly where I got it from. I don't think it was something that B&H had unfortunately.

8. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll search it thanks so much! I use a sekonic but not the fancier one LOL! yeah, with digital I tend to not use the handheld either....So, I'll search that pup out and post if I'm not having any luck THANK YOU!

9. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    looks like cybersync is the alien bees brand (paul c. buff) for trigger and receiver?

i called them and they directed me to a small cord in their site to use along with their trigger and receiver...going to order! I needed a new wireless system anyway and all I use are the alien bees.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
  10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The SWCs are expensive because they are rectilinearly correct [No pincushioning nor barreling]. Keep yours eyes open for a good one if you want really great wide angle photographs.

When I get back from LA I will post some examples.

Steve

11. ruilourosa

ruilourosa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello

I´m a regular hasselblad user with a 500 and a 501 and a 50, 60, 80, 100 and 150,
    i´m flirting a 903 sw but she is a tough girl but whata lens, i´ve got clones of it and they also work wonderfully...

missing also a 250mm but not by that much

12. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

As promised. The verticals are parallel to the edges of the negatives.

The second photograph is of the bridge the apes came across to start the revolution in the second Planet of the Apes movie.

Steve

Attached Files:

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    More.

Steve

Attached Files:

14. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the same set-up I have the motorized 550... it's a finicky devil. I seem to use the good old 500 more.
    Now for lenses like I 50,80, and 150 plus the 1.4 Hasselblad converter. It is wonderful on the 150 and see NO issues with the performance although it is a 5.6.