Adhesive tape for film?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Greg Davis, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I am looking for an adhesive tape to attach two or more color negatives together for printing. Is there a tape that would allow this without creating a line where the edge of the tape appears? I want it to be invisible in the print.

2. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the film base is polyester, a 35mm cine film tape splice (presstape) might work, but I'm not sure it would be invisible. If the film base is acetate or nitrate, you can use what is called splicing cement. It's really a solvent, I believe.

Either way, you really need a splicing machine to properly cut and line up the edges of the film to get a clean splice.

3. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can use Mylar splicing tape. That's what we use to splice cine film together for projection.
    If you are careful to rub it down smoothly, you can get a good, clear splice but I don't think any tape will produce a perfectly invisible join. You'll always be able to see the edges of the tape.

I can see the edges of the tape as splices go through a movie projector and they are only visible on the screen for 1/24 of a second.

This is the tape I use to splice movies together: http://rsem.com/equipment-details.asp?partnum=TAPE4JU15

The only thing I can suggest to keep the edges from showing up is to use tape wide enough that the edges are outside the image area.

RSEM sells splicing tape up to 38mm wide.

Solvent splices only work on acetate (or nitrate) films.
    When it does work, you'll definitely see the join if it's inside the image area because it actually dissolves the film base, similar to the way model airplane glue works.
    Solvent splices don't work on Polyester or Mylar film base. The only way to join those films is with tape or with an ultrasonic (heat) splice. Again, the join will be visible because the splicer actually melts the film together under pressure.

4. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Invisible tape.

5. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I will be taping 4 4x5 negatives together to create a single 8x10 image with black borders separating each section.

6. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kind of like the way your avatar looks?

Mylar splicing tape probably won't show up if it's in the black areas of the print.

7. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'll try some. Can you recommend a supplier for small amounts?

8. AgCl4ever

AgCl4ever Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I would try Scotch magic tape before I go on a hunt/ buying spree for tape.

9. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would try scotch tape too, especially if you have rebates on your film that you can hide the tape in.

10. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a roll I can spare. Just sent you a PM.

11. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  12. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    3M Scotch strips, either in clear or invisible form. The stuff is pricey and generally fiddly to use without the dispenser. The foregoing posts mentioning mylar splicing tape or bonding would be the other good choices. You may need to experiment and not be hopeful of getting perfect results with the first option and keep trying.

13. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I am simply butting 4 individual 4x5 negatives against one another to create a single 8x10 negative. To keep it straight in the negative carrier I would like to tape them together so they don't shift when I put the top glass on them.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Why are you using four sheets of 4x5 to make an 8x10? Just shoot an 8x10 and your problem will be solved.

16. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It would if I was trying to make a single image across the entire negative, but I am making a single quadtych image of the same scene in different lighting as time passes through the day. Individual 4x5 images were shot, but I plan on making a single print from all four at once.

17. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Is there any good reason to not output this digitally?

18. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Output it digitally? Well, besides the fact that the discussion of that would need to be taken elsewhere since this is APUG, you couldn't get an archival silver gelatin or alternative process print that way. Unless you were to scan and output a digital negative, that is. But then you'd lose some information that is available in the original sheet films, and it would be way harder than just taping together and contact printing the quadtych.

19. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, you're right - if all the op is aiming at is an archival b/w print. However, if the analogue process is essential to the appreciation of the work then why not embrace the analogue in all of its glorious imperfection, tape-marks and all?

20. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Of course I could, but then I wouldn't be in my darkroom, I would be at my computer. I want to be in my darkroom. And this is C-41 film for RA-4 printing.

21. pjbc

pjbc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why not print the 4 negatives, one at a time, on the same paper?

Make 4 masks with a black cardboard with the same size as the paper,
    and use one mask for each negative.

22. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Try scotch tape then. It's cheap, does a good job and will keep you from your computer for a bit.

23. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you don't mind a neat black (on the film) line seperating the four images, art supply stores have black crepe tape in perhaps several narrow widths. You can also lay the film on a sheet of glass, butt the joints together, and tape just the outside edges to the glass.

24. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Try that sometime and let me know if it was easier than just taping the four negatives together.

25. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Someone is sending me some splicing tape to try out. I may end up taping the film down to the negative carrier glass, but I want to try taping them together first. I know exactly what I want it to look like in the print, so I am trying to find a way to make that happen.

26. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good luck to you Greg. I think the way you are approaching it is the way I'd approach it too. I'd love to hear how it turns out in the end.