adjust metering on a canonet ql17

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by brianentz, Mar 31, 2012.

1. brianentz

brianentz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My new canonete ql17 is way off on the metering. Almost two stops. If I set the ISO to 160 it can get good exposures for 400. That's what I normally keep in the camera. It would be nice, though to actually fix the metering. This isn't where I want to spend the big bucks. Any ideas? :whistling:

PS: of course, it's not new. Just new to me. It's actually about as old as I am and that ain't new.

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has the camera been converted to take modern batteries?

What battery are you using?

3. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You could add a UV filter to it. Many people report that since the sensor is so close to the filter ring, the shade of the filter causes a big change in the reading. The sky could be the reason for your fault too.

4. brianentz

brianentz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    1.55v silver oxide cradled in the gold adapter with the microchip in. It's supposed to be the best, I'm told.

5. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take it to a camera repairer and have it adjusted.

6. sangetsu

sangetsu Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    When Canon built the QL17 cameras, they often made adjustments to the meter by gluing a piece of gelatin neutral-density film behind the meter eye on the lens faceplate. Your camera may have had this bit of film installed, but as it is held in place with water-based glue, it may have fallen off. You can remove the lock ring around the face plate and see if there is a bit of filter film behind it. you can make your own replacement by gluing a piece of an old film negative behind the plastic eye on the lens nameplate. You can try different shades until you get a good reading.