Adorama fiber base warmtone paper

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Lee Shively, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anyone here used this paper?

It was my (possibly incorrect) understanding that Ilford was the actual maker of Adorama's photo papers. I notice Adorama has fiber base warmtone paper available. Does anyone know if it's the same as Ilford fiber WT?

2. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I bought a pack recently and tried it on one print but was less than impressed. I did not feel it was the same as Ilford WT. But maybe I haven't given it a fair shake yet.

3. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is no proof what-so-ever that Ilford is the maker of this or that 'store'
    brand film or paper. I think Kentmere, some contenintal, or perhaps underground
    USA operation is or are the suppliers. Also there are oriental sources. World wide
    there are likely a score or more suppliers of silver-gelatin films and papers. Dan

4. Joe Symchyshyn

Joe Symchyshyn Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You get what you pay for... It's not always just the logo that is worth the extra money.

joe :smile:

5. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think I gave Adorama WT a fair shake last weekend. There is no way it is the same paper as Ilford WT, nor even related to it. Its rather more like Agfa MCC 111 or Koadak Polymax Fine Art C.

6. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

I actually like Polymax C, but can't seem to get it here.
    Anybody know if it's still available Stateside
    Mark

7. psvensson

psvensson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Interesting. The Adorama papers continue to be a mystery. Their MG RC paper is clearly different from Ilford MGIV - it has a different color when unprocessed and different speed and contrast. But when those last two differences are compensated for, the end result is indistinguishable from the branded paper.

8. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

My understanding is that Acugrade Warmtone is Fomatone MG

Mark

9. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Doesn't look like it Mark. I checked both Adorama and B&H. Neither one had it listed. I bought mine early last spring. Guess that was the last time.

10. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I printed on this paper for the first time tonight. It definately isn't Ilford WT, but I liked what I got out of it. It's definately a warmer paper than the Ilford WT when developed in Neutol WA.

It toned beautifully in Berg Selenium toner, including shades of browns and almost-purples depending on the time in the toner. I'm going to spend more time with this paper next week to see how it reacts to some other toners. (I specifically bought this paper in the hopes that it would tone more easily than the Ilford, and I think I got what I wanted.)

11. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

This paper may not be Acugrade either
    Mark