ADOX attempting to restart 110 film production.

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by brianmquinn, Jul 11, 2010.

1. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    wow. is there really a market?

3. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would love to have some B&W. Fine grain is nice but I would like to have something faster than CMS 20. Most of my 110 cameras need a film speed of at least 100 to be useful. Even my Pentax 110 needs film that fast to be useful and it is among the best 110 cameras ever made.

4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't think that there would be a market for 110 film anymore, but I could be interested if some were avaliable.

Jeff

5. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Being in German I translated the webpage with the Google Translate thingy.

Interesting it is not just for cameras......

The Pocket format was very popular in the 70s and 80s, as the cameras and thus compatible with the older ladies handbags are small.

6. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My German is rather poor but here is what I think I read.
    If I get this wrong and someone knows German better than me please correct what I am about to write.

Film is not ready now but may be sometime in 2010.
    It will be hand spooled, so price per roll will be about $6 to $7.
    They do not have proper paper backing so no frame numbers will be visible in the camera windows.

7. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The proper translation is closer to "The pocket format was very popular in the 70s and 80s because the cameras were small and fit in old ladies' handbags."

I still find it funny that Adox found it important to mention this.

8. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is there any out there now for sale? I thought Walgreens or Walmart might have some. But if there isn't any, I do have a Rollei compact and a sweet Canon that would enjoy some exercise.
    Now, speaking to developing, who's got reels, neg carriers or neg carriers for scanning hanging around.

P.S. English link at bottom but apparently it doesn't cover the 110 film. Still some info on the CMS20 film with pics. Sounds interesting. http://www.adox.de/english/ADOX Films/Premium/ADOX_Films/ADOX_CMS_Films.html

Btw, Here's a link to Fotoimpex apparently selling 110 film 200 ASA. Whoever reads German let us know.
    http://www.fotoimpex.de/cgi-bin/sho...1672538237476316&session=1&nocache=1278896430

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2010
  9. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would absolutly love to be able to shoot 110 again. I have a couple of cheap 110 cameras but they are a pure pleasure to shoot with! The results are quite interesting!

10. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It would be really awesome if they did 126 and 127 too :D

11. maderik

maderik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought some Kodak 400 at Walmart last year when they were closing it out but it's long gone now from stores now.

A few specialty stores sell it online at premium prices:
    http://www.fourcornerstore.com/collections/frontpage/products/110-film

Remember that you need to trim the film speed tab; for some reason Kodak uses the slow speed tab even on this fast film.

You can also buy outdated film:
    http://www.fourcornerstore.com/collections/frontpage/products/110-film-five-packs

The Frugal photographer also has some slightly outdated Fuji 200, Konica and Agfa.
    http://www.frugalphotographer.com/cat110.htm

12. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Lomography has been marketing some 110 cameras, and I've seen a tiny 110 camera that clips onto the 110 cartridge somehow at a novelty gizmo store called AC Gears (I think these come by way of Lomography as well, since I've also seen these I think in the Lomography shop), so I suspect it's mainly a hipster market.

13. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    im glad i have been hip all these years !

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Me too :D

16. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My local Walgreens did up until a year or two ago, at a guess. I don't pay very close attention, though, since I don't have any 110 cameras.

I've got a Russian tank with a fairly clever design that lets it adapt to any size from 16mm to 70mm by using spacers between disks with spiral grooves. The disks are placed on a central column. Thus, there's no unitary "reel" in quite the sense you'd think of from experience with a Paterson-type tank. This may be clearer in pictures:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/tank-1.jpg
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/tank-2.jpg
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/tank-3.jpg
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/tank-4.jpg

Put it together without the spacers, and it can handle 16mm (and hence 110) -- at least in theory. As I said, I don't own a 110 camera, so I've not tested it.

These tanks pop up on eBay from time to time, so keep your eye out if you're interested. I actually prefer mine to my AP tank, which is a Paterson clone; however, my Russian tank does leak more than my other tanks, which of course is a big minus. I prefer my stainless steel tanks and reels above the Russian tank.

I've jury-rigged carriers for both scanning and darkroom printing. My main darkroom jury-rigged carrier insert is for 126 film, and it consists of layers of photo paper cut from test strips and glued together. It works just fine -- but my enlarger's negative carrier takes removable inserts for different formats, making such fabrication relatively easy. If you've got a carrier that takes inserts, you might be able to jury-rig something similar for 110 film.

17. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maco does type 127 with their Rollei 80S.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010
  18. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adox DO NOT YET manufacture type 110 films, but are preparing for that, awaiting pre-orders.

The films won't have backing papers and thus will have modified cassettes.

19. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It sure would be great if they sold properly perforated bulk 110 film and reloadable cassettes instead of charging an exorbitant fee for spooling the film for us. I would want some, but $6 to $7 per roll is not a price I would pay. I have my five cassettes that I keep reusing, and I have my eight SS reels (which I got through A.P.U.G.). If someone were to reintroduce 110 film for $3 per roll, I would stockpile it like crazy...but not 6 to 7 bucks. I'd much rather just buy a bulk roll from them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010
  20. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, now I can get that Pentax 110 SLR I always wanted, now there's going to be film!

21. nick mulder

nick mulder Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    ha, theres been that one on trademe for a while now huh :wink:

22. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

The film will be properly perforated.
    But without backing paper.

23. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By the way, it would be best to discuss all this on the Adox forum here, so Mirco will be more aware of this discussion.

24. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My translator threw up this: "Pocket Kasettenfilme films are loaded with 16mm film.", which seems to suggest that the cassettes may be loaded not with true 110 film but with 16mm. If that's the case, it wouldn't work in all/many 110 cameras. The concept of no backing paper is interesting, though, as I occasionally cut down b/w film and load it into cassettes as do many. It set me thinking that perhaps the backing paper is unnecessary if the back of the cartridge is made light-tight and without the thickness of the paper considerably more exposures of film could be wound on. You'd just need either a good memory or a piece of paper to keep count of the number of exposures used. Perhaps something would be needed in the film window to take up the space vacated by the paper and ensure that the film plane wasn't able to vary excessively (well, any more than 110 is said to anyway!)

Steve

25. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My first camera was 110 type :smile:. I am starting to search for developer equipment for 110 films while it is still cheap :D

26. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm ready. Canon 110ED F2 lens with hot shoe, and Rollie A110 F2.8. And I was just going to donate them to Salvation Army.

Attached Files: