ADOX black and white papers.

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Ektagraphic, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Guys- I am fairly new to darkroom and I have been getting really good results working with Ilford paper! I like the Adox films and I hope to try their papers. What do you guys think of them?

2. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Adox make some top notch papers.

They are an interesting alternative to Ilford papers

Whether you prefer them to Ilford is a very personal choice.

You will need to try them to find out for yourself :smile:

Martin

3. Nate_smith9

Nate_smith9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I love adox paper in rc. I have not used the new fiber paper but there has been a huge buzz and my lab tech just got some 11x14 so i will get to see some results

4. mcfactor

mcfactor Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    You should also check out Emaks. Its a graded, slightly warm, fiber paper that is inexpensive and yeilds some beautiful tones. Both B&H and freestyle carry it.

5. Jim Edmond

Jim Edmond Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just made my first MCC print. The paper has rich blacks and is on a very white base. It seems to have a contrast range of about 0 to 4.5. I toned it in KRST 1:9 for 3 minutes. There was a slight warming during the first minute and not much after that. I've never used the original Agfa MCC, so can't make a comparison.

I don't know that I like it any better than Multigrade, though. What I really want is a replacement for Polywarmtone, which I believe Adox is working on.

6. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suggest you compare sharpness or prints made on MB IV FB and MCC 110. In my experience, the former is the least sharp multigrade fiber paper ever, while the latter is the sharpest.

In case anyone thinks this comparison is not valid because of enlarging lens lateral chromatic abberation, note that my tests were performed by making large format contact prints.

7. Jim Edmond

Jim Edmond Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Could be. My test negative was made with a Cooke soft focus lens making it a bit difficult to judge sharpness. The MCC did render fine details, though (11X14 enlargement from type 55 4x5).

8. CuS

CuS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Adox and emaks

The adox papers are lovely - Ive used teh glossy 8x10 RC (almost like teh agfa stuff never left).

The emaks is my absoluyte favorite fiber paper - especially teh 11x14 Grade 3

has amazing tone - almost a blac olive green tint- wonderful stuff

9. Philippe Grunchec

Philippe Grunchec Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adox Vario Classic = Fotokemika Varycon (VC)
    Adox Nuance = Fotokemika Emaks (graded)

Both fantastic papers!

10. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are so many great papers out there that are hidden under the guise of Ilford's domination. Don't get me wrong, I love Ilford stuff, but we can't all be using Ilford paper 24/7. There are other varieties and tastes to sample.

11. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently did come comparisons of Adox, Oriental and Arista Ultra VC fiber papers. I found all three very good papers and on par with Ilford. If I rated them on tonality and coldness with my processing methods I would place Oriental and and Adox first and Arista a close second. Adox is slightly faster and responds to toning (bleach/sepia/selenium) better than the other two.

The Oriental I used was purchased late last year and I have read a couple threads that say the emulsion has changed again so I will have to buy a 25 sheet pack and try it again.