Adox MCC 110 - Paper Follow Up

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by rwboyer, Jan 3, 2010.

1. rwboyer

rwboyer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Again - this is the first new paper that I have tried in a long long time and...WOW!

I am done with my hum drum old paper for now. I love this stuff. It is absolutely perfect for my subject matter and my desires. If I had to ask for someone to design a paper just for me this would be it. The decision of Adox to put the old Agfa emulsion on a bayarta type bright white base was fantastic. I like it better than the old Agfa - much more appropriate for just about anything.

Okay enough gushing over the MCC.

Here is something that surprised me even more. I tried a bunch of different paper developers this week on the MCC everything from cold tone to warm tone developers. Amidol, Ansco 130, just about every concoction that I ever used. Guess what was my favorite?

Plain ol' Kodak Dektol 1+2 - fantastic DMAX and just a hint of warmness maybe a tick warmer absolutely neutral blacks. Nothing like an over the top warm tone paper.NO GREENISHNESS in any of the developers I tried but the fact that it is beautiful in dirt cheap dektol and shows great capacity/consistency is just icing on the cake.

RB

Ps. I will still use Galerie for a couple things but the MCC is my new standard.

2. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agree, very nice paper but as long as it is sold in 25 sheet envelopes only i will not buy it.

3. Rolleiflexible

Rolleiflexible Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the Cult of MCC. :-D

4. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The original was my answer to everything, but current MG WT, with the paler base than of old, is amazing. The new MCC would have me interested over MG IV but it seems to be very expensive. I'll prob give some a whirl.

5. rwboyer

rwboyer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have you used plain old Dektol with MCC?

RB

6. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you try it in this?

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/9421-...rmula-As-Agfa-Neutol-WA-1.25-Liter?cat_id=301

Very long-lived, convenient liquid and (in my opinion) a perfect tone with MCC110. The same as Agfa Neutol WA, made in the same plant.

Cut-off-nose-to-spite-face! :confused:

7. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  8. rwboyer

rwboyer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the tip - I will have to do the math and see what the price/print comes out to. I loved some of the Agfa papers but never used Agfa print developers. Have you compared Dektol with this? Differences?

RB

Ps. I hope there are not a lot of people that react this way or we will never get big boxes of MCC.

9. rwboyer

rwboyer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I personally do not know but I only by it in 8x10 or larger. Stocking smaller paper sizes is too much of a hassle for me, they almost never get used and when I am on an 8x10 film binge they are useless to me.

RB

10. naugastyle

naugastyle Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Freestyle doesn't carry the 5x7s (I wish) and I would prefer not to order from the UK, so I've been cutting my 11x14 sheets. Which is approximately 100 5x7s with a few test strips left over, for a bit less than the link above--$46.99 vs £34.95 (but I would prefer pre-cut). I have tried it in Dektol but not with the same negative that I also tested with Arista Cold Tone Developer and Zonal Pro WT, so not a very accurate test. The WT dev looks really nice, it's subtle, not greenish either. I have a few complaints about the Arista developer but I might need to do a bit more research. But yes, mine looked quite good in Dektol as well. Fantastic paper. Now I just wish it were cheaper.

11. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Haven't mixed Dektol in many, many years. Back then I did try Agfa MCC 111 in Dektol and found Neutol WA much better.

12. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is 2010. Current analog photography marketplace realities (read low volume) dictate prices of top-tier, ultra quality products. I'm down on bended knee thanking Adox for its efforts to bring this paper back to life and suggest we be happy for the option to purchase it. Should it disappear again, today's prices will appear cheap. :rolleyes:

13. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I took Adox up on the offer of trying their free 5-sheet test packages when they introduced the idea of manufacturing this paper. I thought it was awesome and to have identical tonality to the old agfa, but of course with the difference of a brighter base.
    I used it with 130. Great results.

Nowadays I have settled on my papers of choice, and I don't want to throw another emulsion into the mix. If I was looking for a new paper to use, this would be very high up on the list.

- Thomas

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm using it and like it a lot. Ordered, and in the process of using, 200 sheets (8 of the 25 packs). Still have some Ilford left to use. I won't be buying anymore Ilford unless 110 fails.

Sal, I do think it could be offered cheaper, per sheet, in larger quantities. I think all the paper manufacturers have a cheaper per sheet price (less packaging per 100/250 boxes and lower handling costs) than the 25 sheet packs. I'm sure the big guys don't lose money on the larger boxes.

I'd jump at the chance to buy it in 100 or 250 sheet lots.

Just 2 cents worth.

Mike

16. Rolleiflexible

Rolleiflexible Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, I develop in LPD. I just split-toned it
    last night in Kodak Sepia II and KRST and
    was very happy with the result. It's a
    gorgeous paper.

17. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Undoubtedly, a marginally lower price would be feasible. But to boycott such an outstanding product based only on that factor seems counterproductive.

18. Zathras

Zathras Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. I have seen other papers that only seem to come in small packs, and it can be frustrating. I would love to see 100 and 250 sheet boxes of this paper in 8x10 and 11x14 in 50 sheet packs.

Perhaps if enough of us contacted Mirko about this, we could persuade him to have the paper packaged in larger quantities.

Just a thought,

Mike Sullivan

19. rwboyer

rwboyer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I like the color of it sooooo much I am afraid to tone it but will ultimately do some toning tests. It is one of the few things that look so good raw that I am reluctant to keep screwing with it.

On another note...

Saw some of your high key stuff. Really nice (then again I am a sucker for well done high key black and white). One question - The appearance of the photos suggests a fairly simple and possibly very portable setup (maybe in a bunch of locations?) My question is do you have an suggestions for similar set ups that are really portable?

My current MO is throwing a lot of stuff at my high key shots - two heads/umbrellas for the background, one head w/ box for the main and two heads diffused through a giant silk for fill.

This is all fine and dandy for shooting local or a bunch of people when I travel but lugging 5 heads, 2 packs, cords, a roll of seamless, all of the stands, umbrellas, a box, and camera gear to a location for one or two shots is not my idea of fun. I plan on doing a series of portraits on 8x10 in the next few months and most will be on location - I plan on a few very simple lighting setups if the available light/environment is not conducive to my needs. Your images for some reason just give me the impression that the high key setup is mobile - any suggestions?

RB

20. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sal

I agree, I'm going to keep right on using it. I'd just use "more" if it came in larger boxes with a discount as other paper manufacturers provide.

I couldn't go back to Ilford after using this paper.

Mike

21. jbridges

jbridges Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RB - Can you scan I print form the MCC? I have been wanting to use this paper but I am a visual type of guy.

jb

22. rwboyer

rwboyer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    jb - yes I can and I will get around to it in the next day or two but...

So many readers on my site have asked for samples of materials I am actually working out a way to deal with sending out actual samples for a couple bucks with a selection of negative formats/processing that will not suck down all my time and end up cost neutral. If that interests you at all hit me up via email.

RB

23. Rolleiflexible

Rolleiflexible Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've just loaded a couple of scans of two MCC 110
    prints I made last night -- one toned in selenium,

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showimage.php?i=48958&c=502

the other split toned in Kodak Sepia II and selenium:

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showimage.php?i=48959&c=502

MCC's tones barely budge in selenium -- you would
    not see the difference (if there is a difference) in a
    scan so you can expect untoned MCC to look like my
    selenium-toned image.

If you don't like the images, don't blame the paper --
    it looks much richer and subtler and vibrant in hand
    than any computer reproduction can suggest.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2010
  24. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I am a died in the wool 130 fan but I agree that the Dektol/D72 is better on this paper. Evan better is to replace the carbonate in D72 with TSP ala Edwin Lowe fo deeper blacks. Replace the carbonate wit 1 part TSP for 2 parts carbonate and dilute 1+2...Evan Clarke

25. jbridges

jbridges Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sanders - Thank you very much. Excellent information/visuals and your prints look wonderful.

Rb - I might take you up on that offer!

jb

26. Lukas_87

Lukas_87 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    what means "TSP" please?