Adox MCC112 paper? (Matte/Pearl, FB)

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by shashinzukuri, Mar 7, 2014.

1. shashinzukuri

shashinzukuri Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anyone know if Adox ever made (or plans to make) MCC 112? Their MCC datasheet shows they were at least considering it, but Freestyle only has the MCC110 (glossy). It would be akin to MCP 312, but it looks like even that is getting very hard to come by (the only 312 available appears to be 5x7). Is Adox abandoning their high-end matte/pearl coatings?

2. shashinzukuri

shashinzukuri Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just in case anyone else wanted to know about this, I contacted Adox again (I guess my first email didn't go through) and Mirko tells me that Adox is still evaluating some of the components for MCC112. They plan to start coating in May.

3. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    That's good news!

Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl

4. miha

miha Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great news, thanks for the update! Matte is my preferred surface (I do hope it will be 112 and not 118).

5. shashinzukuri

shashinzukuri Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm pretty sure it will be 112 - they've never mentioned an intent to make 118, as far as I know, and they don't have an X18 line in their RC papers. It wouldn't be consistent with their lineup so far.

6. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    What is the difference between 112 and 118?

7. shashinzukuri

shashinzukuri Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They're referencing the old Agfa paper codes.

You could read them as a three digit code, XYZ, where

X (paper type) = 1 for double-weight fiber-based paper, 3 for resin-coated, no entry for single-weight paper. Adox is only making the 1 and 3 lines, not the old single-weight papers.
    Y (paper base tint) = 1 for bright white paper, no entry for single-weight paper.
    Z (emulsion finish) = 0 for high-gloss RC, 1 for high-gloss fiber, 2 for semi-matte/pearl, 8 for the straight "fine-grain matte". Adox got rid of the 0/1 distinction and made everything 0 here.

8. shashinzukuri

shashinzukuri Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just in case anyone is still following this thread... Adox has coated MCC 112, and it has some limited availability on macodirect.de. I personally imported a little bit recently, so once I get into the darkroom next I will post some results so you can see how it measures up.

I don't know, but I expect Freestyle will start carrying it in the near future, or at the very least will be able to special-order some if you ask nicely.

9. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  10. DKSEA

DKSEA Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
  11. LikeAPolaroid

LikeAPolaroid Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I did, a few prints last week. Nice paper. Surface is different from a standard pearl like Ilford's. It is actually just less glossy than MCC110. The emulsion is identical to 110, same speed (if not is only a tiny slower, but paper is fresh and my 110 is almost 1yo). Drydown is identical to 110, pretty important and that needs to be factored in during exposure. Blacks are naturally not as deep as the 110. I used Ansco130 1+1 which is neutral warm and the result was on the warm side as the 110. Very nice paper but of course not for everything.