Adox PAn 25, what is this film?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Aurelien, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I have seen on the deutch adow website, the existency of a film, called adox pan 25. What is this film? Repacked rollei pan 25? Efke 25? New film?

2. Guillaume Zuili

Guillaume Zuili Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    C'est l'efke 25
    G.

3. Aurelien

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I don't think so. Efke 25 is Adox CHS 25. Adox pan 25 is another one, and "made in Germany" is written on the cartridge... Mirko???

4. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I dislike this confusion and fog-of-war - why can't things be "old Agfa stock" and "Efke" or whatever it is? Looks like the Adox Pan 25 is some kind of APX25 with a new name. Can't help but smile at the description of the Adox CHS, though:
    "ADOX CHS films are still made according to the recipes from the 1950s and are coated slowly on a historic dip and dunk machine. This gives them their special character which cannot be achieved by fast modern spray-coating machines and also enables us to produce micro lots of only 10 000 films at a time.
    This way we can keep exotic films like CHS 25 and CHS 50 in constant and fresh production."

I wonder if Kodak could sell more films with that kind of nostalgia blurb? :wink:

5. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I asked the same question a while ago here but didn't get a final answer.
    The best suggestion so far is, that it is Rollei Pan 25 (manufactured by Filmotec).
    Maybe Mirko can give a hint here?

6. ADOX Fotoimpex

ADOX Fotoimpex Partner Partner

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ADOX Slow speed film portfolio

ADOX is currently selling five different kinds of slow speed 35mm films.

CHS 25 which is the true ADOX (KB 14) emulsion from the 1950ies.
    This film is coated on a triacetate base and shows the unique charakteristics of a 1950ies film.
    If you are in doubt about this, Jerevan, try a roll and you will see that the greyscales and spectral response are completely different from a modern film.
    The film is neither cheap nor easy to handle yet very succesfull on the market due to its unique look.
    There is no special developer necesary for this product.

CHS 50. Another true ADOX formulation (ADOX KB 17) from the 50ies.
    Very much like CHS 25 in spectral response yet much easier to handle because it has a wider latitude.

CMS 20. Our highest resolution product. This film resolves up to 800 l/mm and makes grain free enlargements from a 35mm negative up to 1 Meter x 1,5 Meters possible. It needs to be developed in a special developer (ADOTECH).

ORT 25. A very new film emulsion developed in 2003. Better mechanical properties (surface hardening) than the historic CHS series and coated onto a clear PET base for reversal processing. Very high resolution of up to 300 l / mm and a very modern anti-halation layer between the emulsion and the base.
    This film can be reversal processed. For regular development (negative) it needs a soft working developer or at least a developer with good equalizing capacity.
    This film´s individual components are produced in three different factories to make this possible. It was quite a logistical challenge to bring it to the market.

NEW PAN 25. Very much like ORT 25 but with a panchromatic emulsion. It has the same clear base and AHU (antihalo under the emulsion) and also needs to be made step by step in three different locations until we can sell it.
    This film can be reversal processed (unlike the clasic CHS series).
    For regular development (negative) it does not need a special developer.

None of these currently offered films is based on APX technology.

I hope this answers all questions regarding the properties of our slow speed films and explains why we have so many different ones.

Best regards,

Mirko

7. Aurelien

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    But there is a very big problem: your products are not very well distributed for example here in France...

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doesn't the post from Germany arrive :smile:

Fotoimpex can deliver anywhere in the EU, its a free market. I use Fotoimpex when I'm in the UK and delivery is very fast and their package & postage/shipping charges are very reasonable.

Ian

9. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've used Fotoimpex from New York, and the film has always gotten here.

I'll be in Berlin in March, so maybe I'll pay a visit.

10. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mirko, how does the Adox Pan 25 compare to the other current 25ASA Films (and films like ACROS, Delta 100, TMAX100) in terms of sharpness and grain?
    Which developers do you recommend?
    Any example pictures on the net?

Thanks &

11. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ORT25 was one of my favourite 'discoveries' since Pan F+, and it has the advantage of being available in 4x5 - so I might have a look into this new film.

12. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So...
    I have contacts in Aachen and Dresden. How to I leverage this into getting 4x5 (3x4, 5x7, 120, 135) films from Adox "on the cheap"?

tim in san jose

13. braxus

braxus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My question is Adox Pan 25 the same film as Rollei Pan 25?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. braxus

braxus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2007
  16. maxbloom

maxbloom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the very least, I'd be inclined to believe that the Rollei 25 is the same as the Maco UP25, which I have shot. It's beautiful stuff. Very sharp and has one hell of a tone range. The base is clear and very thin, which makes it curl like hell. I don't have a clue what CHS stands for and I'm too busy to go trouncing around the web looking for an answer, but off-hand my hunch (for whatever stupid reason) is that it would be more likely that the Adox pan would be the same as those two, as opposed to those two being the same as CHS and the Adox Pan being something totally different. I could be totally wrong, though.

17. braxus

braxus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used Maco UP25+ and it was the same film as Efke R25 and Adox CHS 25. Maco makes films for Rollei from what I've read, all under the Rollei name. From that Rollei Pan 25 has been out for a year or so and the new ADOX Pan 25 has been announced. So the timing would seem to suggest that Adox is the same film as Rollei Pan 25, just rebranded. Look at the technical info on these two films, plus where they are made, and they all would lead one to think its the same film. I also believe Adox Ortho is also Rollei Ortho. Maco UP 25 hasn't been around for a while as far as I know. If it is still being made, the emulsion has changed as it is no longer the old Efke 25 film it used to be.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2007
  18. maxbloom

maxbloom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well then hell if I know. I'm tired these stupid wild goose chases.

19. braxus

braxus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know pretty most of the companies out there including Fuji, etc. sell films under another name. Just like it was suggested Efke 400 was just the old Agfa Pan 400 which is old stock. I don't think Adox makes any of its own films, as even its true original film is actually the Efke film anyway. I would suspect if Adox claimed back its name for the Efke films, Efke's name would no longer be used- but it still is. So it is my guess Adox Pan 25 is Rollei Pan 25. Mirko correct me if I'm incorrect.

The market is just too small for these emulsions to simply be the one company's own product and not the same film as the other suggested rebranded product. Putting it under different names would spread the market out, since its likely someone would recognize the Adox brand even if they never heard of Rollei films.

20. JanaM

JanaM Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Adox Pan 25 is identical to Rollei Pan 25, same film, only other label. It is an improved Orwo NP 15 emulsion (finer grain), but on PET base.
    This film was made by Filmotec (only emulsioning afaik).

Best regards,
    Jana

21. braxus

braxus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Jana. I figured it was the same film as the Rollei. Well at least we have two options for this emulsion now. I wonder how competative Rollei will be with Adox in terms of pricing? Freestyle only sells the Rollei version, but it may not be long before the Adox one appears too.

22. dr5chrome

dr5chrome Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ..all the ADOX branded films can be reversed processed except the CMS20, with much better results than the negative counterpart.

regards

dw

:D

23. JanaM

JanaM Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's right. Same film, other label.

Best regards,
    Jana

24. JanaM

JanaM Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes Mirko, but please be honest. This was a challenge for Maco to bring it to the market, not for Adox. Maco introduced this film (Rollei Ortho 25) long before.
    You joined in later.
    "Man sollte sich nicht mit fremden Federn schmücken".

Best regards,
    Jana

25. Raphael

Raphael Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bonjour Aurelien,

[Par courtoisie envers nos amis d'APUG, je vais continuer ma réponse en Anglais (ou approchant) :wink: ]

As stated above, you can safely pass an order at Fotoimpex (I did it several times), shipping costs asked for France, by the current European standards, are cheap, and btw, they are kind people. If by chance, you'll get in touch with Amelie (Losier), you will even communicate in French ! :smile:

If you prefer "hard" shops to mail-order shopping, if you pass by Paris, I advise you a stop at "Photo-Stock", in 19th, near Porte de Pantin, you will find the whole Rollei film range, Rollei Pan 25 included...

And the guy have plenty of things (paper, film, darkroom accessories), on his shelfs, a rather refreshing view on these gloomy digital days...

Best regards, à bientot,

Raphael

26. braxus

braxus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It doesn't surprise me this thread didn't get a reply from Mirko/ Robert Vonk on this one. I"ll try the Adox Pan 25 when it comes available at Freestyle. I already have a roll of the Rollei Pan 25.