Adox Variotone

Discussion in '[Partner] ADOX' started by payral, Oct 28, 2013.

1. payral

payral Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I tried but no success to get Adox Variotone Glossy 5x7 size 100 sheets per box. Is it available in France or at least in Europe ?

2. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. payral

payral Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for your answer but only 25 sheets per box in UK Ag.

4. David Allen

David Allen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
  5. payral

payral Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  6. miha

miha Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is available in 5x7 - have some in my darkroom - but only in packs of 25 sheets, regardless of the paper size. I would like bigger packs too.

7. ADOX Fotoimpex

ADOX Fotoimpex Partner Partner

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Miha, Payral,

when you say so what is your intention? Do you like the box so much and don´t want to fumble with the envelopes or do you expect a substantual savings in price?
    It will tie up capital, storage space and other things to offer a second packaging size while the savings (= possible price benefit for the consumer) are very limited (probably below 1,5 EUR per box of 100). Thus I ask.

Kind Regards,

Mirko

8. miha

miha Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mirko, Boxes are more practical especially in smaller formats, I don't expect any savings at all. Still I won't complain as it's a wonderful paper so please do what is necessary to keep it afloat!

9. payral

payral Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Pack of 25 sheets will be OK but it's impossible to find in France or even in Europe. I just could get MCC110 in that size.

10. miha

miha Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    True. Even Fotoimpex ran out of the glossy type in 5x7.

11. David Allen

David Allen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
  12. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The UK is in Europe. I've given a link to Ag Photographic who sell 25 sheet boxes of this paper

13. miha

miha Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ag is out of stock as well.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had always assumed that the savings in selling boxes of 100 sheets compared to packs of 25 sheets were substantial. Just have a look at the selling price of a 25 sheet pack then multiply it by 4 and compare it to the price of a 100 sheets box. The difference in price is massive whether it is Ilford, Fotospeed, Adox etc. Buying 25 x 4 packs is something close to 2.5 times as expensive as a 100 sheet box.

If the saving is as small as you say it is then either the manufacturers or the retailers aren't passing on the savings and making vast profits from 25 sheets packs or the price for 25 sheets is deliberately increased to persuade buyers to buy 100 sheet boxes which are much cheaper on a price per sheet basis.

pentaxuser

16. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps the situation you describe is related to UK retailers. It's not the case here.

For example, 8x10 Ilfobrom Galerie from B&H:

Four times the 25-sheet box price of $47.50 ($190.00) is 1.31 times the 100-sheet box price ($144.95). Nowhere near 2.5X. A fairly reasonable premium, in my view, for the extra packaging and stock keeping effort.

17. ADOX Fotoimpex

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You are right. I digged it up (is this the correct past tense for dig?- dug?).
    Due to extremely low sales on the small formats we decided to cancel 5x7 sometimes in 2011 before we started finishing the paper in our factory. Then things were changed but we did not (yet) re-introduce the small formats which we can do by now.
    So it was never finished. I have now set it back up to live status -for now only as a 25 pack- so it will be finished with the next run and re-stocked.
    Possibly we will also introduce a 100 pack then. We can now do these things even for 1 pack which was not possible before when our manufacturing was not up and running.
    A price difference of 2,5 between 4x 25 packs as opposed to a 100 pack sounds odd to me and can´t be an ADOX price comparison.
    We offer our products at very low prices if you look at our production costs. No one gets rhich here and no-one in the chain makes more than 20% which is essential to keep a business allive and running.

Mirko

18. miha

miha Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great news Mirko. I also hope this paper will stay in your portfolio even after you'll release the Polywarmtone paper in the future.

19. ADOX Fotoimpex

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There are no plans to drop one paper in favour of another. If we have enough demand to keep the paper allive we will.

Mirko

20. miha

miha Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mirko, I understand the Variotone is a house brand paper (Hausmarke) but don't quite usnderstand why it is not available trough more retailes like the rest of the Adox line. Is this one of the strategies to keep the costs low?

21. ADOX Fotoimpex

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would not call it a house brand. Normally a house brand is a given product branded for other companies with their brand.
    Variotone is a unique product produced only for us.
    We also finish it which is a major part in the production.
    However the company making the emulsion and coating it has raised prices to an extend that we had two choices:

1) Make it the by far most expensive paper in the world
    2) Limit the amount of money a retailer can make on the paper to a number which is comparable to what he can make on other brands but less than what ADOX usually offers.

Some dealers understood others decided not to carry the paper under these circumstances.

It´s a very low profit world we are living in if it comes to analog photography...

Mirko

22. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd agree and lucky you or is it unlucky me? It does seem as if the U.K. situation may not reflect that in other countries. A pity. However I always try and see the bright side of things and at least our U.K situation allows TV programme makers to make a programme called "Rip-Off Britain". It's an ill wind that blows no-one any good as they say

pentaxuser

23. ADOX Fotoimpex

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pentax,

I´d like to hold against this that I cannot imagine you are talking about an ADOX product. If so this must be an error.
    Our dealers do not usually change the cost structure originally given by us.

Mirko

24. miha

miha Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure, I know very well it's a unique paper, it's just that Moersch site states Hausmarke.

Keep the good work going!

25. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hausmarke (house brand, store brand, private label) is a term defined in Germany as a brand given by a wholesaler or retailer to a product manufactured by another company.
    If the manufacturer markets it for his own under an own brand one would not call this a Hausmarke. Mirko is right on this.

Though the term is not best chosen. A less-ambigious and and also common term for the same thing is Vertriebsmarke (re-sale brand).

26. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Hi,
    I never used Adox Variotone Glossy, but would like to. Can anyone tell me why this is a good/better paper than the others?
    Thanks,
    Bert