Advanced image management

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by michael_r, Jul 4, 2010.

1. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I wasn't sure exactly which forum to put this in but I suppose it applies here.

Most of us are familiar with what Ansel called basic image management - ie working with camera movements, lenses and other adjustments to manipulate the composition.

However beyond those tools and skills, particularly in urban and architectural photography, I sometimes need to apply...well...additonal techniques. I prefer to think of it as advanced image management. Things like, say, accidentally breaking or removing lightbulbs, giving homeless people money in exchange for getting out of the shot, leaving subtle paint markings on the ground indicating the locations of tripod feet in case I need to return, eliminating the occasional flower, moving construction pilons etc.

So this is my call out to anyone who has ever engaged in advanced image management. Any interesting techniques and/or experiences you can share?

2. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You bet! It's all part of "making a photograph" rather than just taking it. When I was doing a lot of flower photos I use to carry this perfectly preserved bee in film canister. Place the bee, take the photo, instant cuteness.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're not supposed to kill the bee, just refrigerate it slightly :D

Then as it warms up, it begins flapping it's wings and being life-like again, works with all insects :smile:

We all move the occasional branch, weeds, long grass it's called artistic licence .

Ian

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What you refer to is refered to in photographic circles in the U.K as "Gardening"