advice needed on c-41 chem

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by vedmak, Feb 19, 2012.

1. vedmak

vedmak Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Freestyle has arista, unicolor and rollei kits, which is best as far as quality of the negs?

2. vedmak

vedmak Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    forgot to mention, I am using jobo cpe and 35mm film, if that makes any difference.

3. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have not used any of them however, plan to order either the Rollei kit or the Kodak kit from Photographers' Formulary. The reason is I don't think using Blix is as good (in those other kits) as the original Kodak method. Shipping cost ways in favor of Freestyle. I would of thought that you could find something local in Chicago but things are different now. Good Luck.

4. kerne

kerne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Kodak kit from the Formulary is excellent, as well as the Rollei kit. A separate bleach/fix is generally preferred over a blix. In any case, it's also recommended to add a stabilizer on the end. I use PE's mix with formalin and photo-flo http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/77841-homebrew-stabilizer-e6-c41.html. Found 37% formalin cheap from a pet store (it's used to treat fish parasites).

5. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    stabilizer isn't needed for new c41 films, only older c41 films which would be long expired by now, I have been mixing my own (formalin isn't healthy for you btw).

regarding which is kit better, do a search here, it's been discussed to death.
    the formulary kit isn't that cost effective if you use it with the listed capacity. I use the rollei 50 roll kit in my jobo.

6. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I may ask, where do you get the rollei 50 roll kit?

7. vedmak

vedmak Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    thank you all for the input, I did read other threads as well, just wanted to know what is the current preference.

8. vedmak

vedmak Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    yep, it is a shame that even Helix Camera are down to 4 devs from Kodak, and only for B&W

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have only used the Unicolor kit in my Jobo CPP2 and the results were excellent.

10. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My info may be wrong, I thought they could not get the 50 roll kit. Maybe just out of stock.