advice on buying a Minolta XD-11

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by jaimeb82, Jun 3, 2009.

1. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Minolta X-300 was given to me for free 6 months ago, today while looking for a new wide angle lens I found this sale

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/pho/1195203866.html

I email the person and ask if lenses were Rokkor or other. The response was:

"Don't know if it's the Rokkor-x series, you'd have to come take a look. All the lenses are in great shape"

I wasn't looking for a new body, but do you guys thing the price is right. As an starter photographer with film, will the XD-11 body give me more chances to get better, sharper pictures than my actual X-300?

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    An XD-11 is a great camera - one of the best ones Minolta ever made. But a good photographer will make just about exactly the same caliber of photos with an X-300 or an XD-11. By far the most important factor is the photographer themself, and the next most important is the lens, and the X-300 and XD-11 use the same lenses. The camera body is much less significant in influencing the quality of the photos.

3. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

As to lens identification, ask them to read the print on the lens identification ring located around the front of the lens.

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have an XE-1 (XE-7) with those three focal lengths. That setup suits me fine.

Steve.

5. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    is $165 a bit high? what would be a reasonable offer for this set?

6. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's probably an OK deal, depending on condition and specifics on lens, flash, and (to a lesser extent) filters and case. I would expect to pay about $115-130 for a XD-11 body in known excellent condition (functionally and cosmetically).

Ad says "excellent condition". When was the last time he used it and what were the results? Very good chance he hasn't in a long time and really doesn't know if it still works. Does he really know the shutter, meter, film advance, etc work? Can you return it if it doesn't work (and believe that you'll get your money back?

XD11s had a common problem with the leather covering shrinking so that gaps appeared at the edges of the covering. Cosmetic issue only but you decide if it's important to you.

50mm lens will almost certainly be Minolta Rokkor. f1.7 is typical. If f2.0 it's worth a bit less and if f1.4 it's worth more.

28mm is a very useful focal length for most people. If Rokkor, great. If Minolta Celtic OK, if a 3rd party brand then not worth a lot. Same for 135mm, except that most find that focal length not as useful. But that's personal taste. Condition is important; any dust inside, oil on the aperture blades, fungus?

Flash worth anywhere from $2 to perhaps $35 depending on specifics. If it's a "dedicated" Minolta flash or a Vivitar 283, it's at the high end of that range. If it's a small flash without bounce capability then the low end.

Filters worth a couple of bucks each if decent brand (Vivitar, Hoya, Tiffen), not scratched up, and are ones you would use. Worth more if Minolta brand or B+W brand.

Case - who knows. If it's one that you would use, it's probably worth a few dollars.

7. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    got it all for $100, It's a 135mm celtic, just realized apperture doesn't open and close all the way, will be using only at 3.5 I guess, damm so many things to look at only in a lunch break! The leather is coming of the sides but camera seems ok, the batteries were death, a quick trip to radio shack and camera worked, I offered $100 due to 135mm being a CELTIC and death batteries. Too bad the 135 is not functioning well.

8. flashgumby

flashgumby Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If the camera is in good working condition, it's a good deal. Well done :D

And as someone else said, the camera makes not much difference to the photos (in most cases) but it *does* make a difference to the photographer - photography is a lot more enjoyable if you like the gear you're using :wink:

As a matter of fact, I have found that some camera bodies *can* make it easier to take better photos - IMO, features such as flash compensation, DOF preview and so on can improve your ratio of keepers.

Have fun!!!

Regards,
    Gordon

9. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Minolta XD-11 are known for failures of the shutter. Have that calibrated just in case.

10. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    what were the other lenses? Also try working the aperture for a bit, it could just be gummed up from lack of use.

11. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the other two are a 1.7/50 rokkor-x and a 2.8/28mm (doesn't say rokkor in this one :-()

Just bought a Kodak BW400cn at CVS to give it the first test run and check light seals etc...

12. andrewc

andrewc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Congrats on a superb camera. I have two of them, a chrome one and a re-leathered black one. They've become some of my favorite cameras. You got a great deal at $100; KEH has chrome XD-11s w/50mm f/1.4 lenses, in "bargain" condition, going for $160. BTW, I've had pretty good luck with Celtics; they're pretty sharp in my experience.

13. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am sure they are fine, the problem with this one is that the aperture ring doesn't open and close every time for every aperture, so I can not relay it will while taking pictures. I picked up last night and no apertures were moving, after a few times moving the lens around it worked from 3.5 to 11 and then nothing. I guess I could just used open at 3.5 all the time? This way I can test it, the other option is to as someone suggested open it up and learn how to fix it. Does anyone knows of a tutorial/repair manual for that?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Great snag. And if anyone else reads this...

If you have the opportunity to pick up a used Celtic 135, do so. And then use it to beat the hell out of your steaks before grilling. Because that's all they're worth. Congrats on the rest.

16. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great deal on the XD. What you paid was worth the camera - consider the rest a free bonus!
    The 50mm is good; the 28mm - is that a Minolta as well? It doesn't have to say ROKKOR - that was only for a certain market and time period that they printed that on their lenses. Man, this is making me itch to get some manual Minolta gear again (sold it all for Minolta AF gear). I loved that stuff. :smile:
    Can't say much about the Celtic glass, though...don't sweat it. I had all ROKKOR-X glass lineup years ago.
    Best of luck with the new gear,
    Jed

17. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yeah, the 28 is a minolta, it doesn't say rokkor-x, I know the 24 is the way to go, but they sell for about $300, humm, I will just stay with the 28.

To add one more I just picked up a MD Rokkor-X 45mm f2 Lens.Mint. for 9.99. I read it is really small, so it can be useful if I want to travel light.

18. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I have that pancake lens (read: 45mm) on my XG-1's. They are great little lenses.

19. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great find! The lens probably needs a CLA to get the iris working.

Having a second body is a good way to get the GAS flowing!

Steve

20. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also have a black X-300 a coworker gave me since he said he was going to get almost nothing on evilBay. It takes nice pictures, but the sound of the curtain is really loud, the XD-11 makes a really nice sound.

21. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Heh, yeah, that's almost a reason to own the XD. The Seiko shutter is gorgeous sounding. That smooooooth "fawump". :smile:

Jed

22. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's the word I was looking for "fawump" is like classical music

23. flashgumby

flashgumby Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That "fawump" sounds rather heavy and harsh when you say the word. I guess it depends how it's said... Is the "fawump" whispered by a young lady, or shouted by a middle-aged truck driver? The answer will tell me if I want an XD or not :D :wink:

@ jaimeb82 - my 10 year old son really likes the sound of our "new" X-300 and I tend to agree with him. It sounds a lot nicer than many newer cameras even if it's not as good as its peers - I suppose it depends what you compare it with. Even the DOF preview on my 600si is dreadful compared to firing the X-300 :mad:

Regards,
    Gordon

24. andrewc

andrewc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    fawump...yeah, that describes it pretty well. I might add that it's a 'thick fawump' and it is smoooooth!

25. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Imagine Ewan McGregor saying it in his best Obi-Wan.

26. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just picked up 3 bodies on the 'bay from the same seller: An XD-11, an XE-7, and a Canon A-1. All 3 together set me back around $104 including shipping. They arrived today - all of them are fully functional, and the XE-7 and the A-1 in particular are cosmetically gorgeous - definitely 9+, and they look very lightly used. The XD-11 is in good shape too, but it's got the usual leather shrinkage.