Advice on Developing EFKE KB50 in Ilfotec DD-X

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by JPR, Jan 25, 2011.

1. JPR

JPR Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear All

Is anybody out there developing EFKE KB50 in Ilfotec DD-X? If so, could you please share your technique? Time, dilution and agitation?

I've got a role of KB50 now and normally use only Ilfotec DD-X.

I could use Rodinal as I've seen some nice stuff with this combo, but I don't want to buy too many chemicals, as I don't shoot soooo much right now.

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Cheers,

JPR

2. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If this is a one-off roll and you're not doing tests, my suggestion is to go with a general purpose developer for which there are published/recommended times for this film. DDX is an excellent general purpose developer but it would be hard to guess at a development time for the film you're using. Maybe just buy a package of D76. Try finding your film on the massive development chart on the digitaltruth website and use that as a starting point.

Also think about what qualities you want in the negatives. DDX and other general purpose developers are designed to give you a balance of speed, grain, sharpness, contrast with most films. Rodinal favors sharpness but will be grainier and generally speed will be a little lower than with a developer like DDX.

3. rtuttle

rtuttle Member

If you don't shoot too much I would go with the Rodinal! DDX is a great developer but once you open it doesn't last long in the bottle and tend to run a bit expensive. Rodinal will last much, much longer!

4. JPR

JPR Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi guys,

thanks for the tips. Actually, DD-X is my general developer. I'm shooting mostly 50 Pan F, 125 PX and Neopan 1600. All these films develop pretty nicely in DD-X. I think Neopan and Rodinal don't go well together. Although Neopan won't be around much longer...

I'm thinking, but I might some tests myself with DD-X. I don't shoot too much, but it's enough to use enough DD-X that i don't have a shelf life issue. I want to start using EFKE KB50 to compliment the Pan F. So, keeping a second developer for such little volume doesn't make so much sense.

Cheers,

JPR

5. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Makes sense. If you're going to take the time to do your own tests, you can't go wrong with DDX.