Advice on Negs for Lodima

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by mark, Sep 8, 2009.

1. mark

mark Member

Those of you using this paper, what types of negs are you looking to get? I am coming from exposing for POP which was one contrasty neg.

I could use any pointers on a start point. I am working in a flat lit area and will be using grade 3 Lodima. With POP I was looking for an SBR of 7.

Any eneral advice on exposire is welcome.

A good place to purchase Amidol would be welcome too.

2. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My best print so far with Lodima grade 3 is a neg with density range of 5.5 to 6 stops. I flashed the paper for 0.3 second, then exposed for 12 seconds under a 40watt R20 bulb. I have ordered grades 2 & 3 to better handle varying density ranges. My understanding is that with Amidol you can also use a water bath more effectively to handle the ranges.

3. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm not a BTZS type of guy, but I will say while contrast is obviously important my denser negatives seem to print the best. Good luck with this new paper. Shawn

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I haven't tried G3 Lodima, but generally for Azo and the first run of Lodima, which is supposed to be between the production run's G2 and G3, I want a neg with about one zone more density than for enlarging paper and about a zone less than for albumen printing, which should be about what's needed for silver gelatin POP.