Advice please: Is an E screen a worth upgrade to Nikon F100

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by zanxion72, Jul 17, 2014.

1. zanxion72

zanxion72 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am considering replacing the focusing screen of my F100 with an E. Would that be a worthy upgrade? Does anyone use that screen?

2. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well...do you need the gridlines?

3. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use an E screen in my F3, and I use the optional grid lines in my F80. I would buy an E for my F100 if I could find one. They help me with composition, and with getting everything straight.
    Alex

4. zanxion72

zanxion72 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is it just the grid lines? Is there any screen available that makes it easier using manual focus lenses? There is the focusing rangefinder available in the viewfinder, but I get the feeling that my camera does not always understand me...

5. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think it is just grid lines, although I have not seen the F100 version. The one for the F3 has no obvious focus aid, like split screen or micro prism ring, but I find focusing is quite easy with it. I have used manual lenses on the F100 with original screen, but only occasionally. I didn't have any problem, although I can see that using DoF preview to check critical focus might not be so easy.
    Alex

6. zanxion72

zanxion72 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it is just the grid lines then it might not be of use. It could be of aid, but it costs too much for just that.

7. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does this produce a signal or sign when the lens is focused? I have always found the green hexagonal that light ups on a Pentax when using manual lenses of the "A" variety to be very good. I'd have thought that Nikon's system would be equally good but I am not a Nikon user.

Can you say what it is about the Nikon focusing system that doesn't understand you?

pentaxuser

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
  8. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unlike the screens on manual cameras, screens on AF cameras the screen will not show DOF at less than f/2.8, so if you focus at f/1.4 or f/2.8 the VF looks the same. The rangefinder will focus over a wider range than you actually want with fast lenses, I had an F100 in the past and at close range and f/1.4 you could turn the ring and still be in focus over a rather wide area, shows you how accurate AF is...

The only exception to that is the Ec-S screens Canon makes that will show DOF to f/1.8. I have one and it is a vast improvement over the stock screens, I can accurately focus anywhere on the screen without resorting to focus points and the rangefinder. I hacked one once to try and install it on a F100. It kind of worked but the screen was too thick and sat slightly at angle, meaning the extremes of the screen would front/back focus...shame Nikon doesn't make a plain screen that helps in this regard...

9. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The E screen is only gridlines. I put one into my F100 the day I took it home new and have never used any other screen in it.

With practice you can focus manually with this or the stock screen. It's just a little trickier than it is with the manual bodies' screens.

If you really want to focus manually you might prefer using a manual focus body (or an F4 with a manual focus screen installed)... but do give your current kit some time. You can get used to it and focus quite accurately.

10. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The E screen was one of the first items I installed in my D1H (think of that as an F100 with a CCD instead of film, literally - uses the same screens and is pretty much identical except for the location of the diopter adjustment, the color matrix meter from the F5, and a built-in MB-15 battery grip).

-J

11. oneANT

oneANT Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Beattie (Intenscreen) makes a split-screen and I wish I was bringing you some good news but it is an awful thing to use. While the lens is unfocused it blocks the viewfinder too much to be useful. I bought one through bhphotovideo and after my complaint beattie accepted its return and were wonderful for the support they gave me but the screen is woeful. From bh they are non-returnable and its odd that no one on-line says anything about them ...even bad. I was lucky to be able to return it and made a fuss about it not being fit for purpose.

Beattie Intenscreen for Nikon F100 - Matte with Grid & Diagonal Split Image B&H# BEFSSIDGNF10

I use my F100 a lot and with zeiss lenses and for street so I am mostly using wides 21 28 35 and with film and also use 50 100 and 135mm.

I'm also fond of the standard F100 screen and its not so unlike the D700 and maybe a little better but not as bright and with the split prism of the FM3a.

12. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've found using manual focus lenses (F5) with wide apertures makes it easier with the original screen. I use the rangefinder for rough focus and work from there.

13. rolleiman

rolleiman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a grid screen in one of my FM2's. It is a fresnel screen and I find it focuses perfectly OK with all lenses, particularly good with tele lenses.